The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   The danger of NH (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/danger-nh-64267/)

Visibre 09-08-2010 03:58 AM

The danger of NH

Hey people!
At first, im NOT against natural horsemanship, I work with it myself too :)

But, there are alot people who see monty roberts, pat parelli, and so much more really good people working this way with horses, and start copying it, and thats really, really dangerous.

Why?
Because, when you do something wrong, your horse can get dominant or traumatisized.

for example:
the join up from monty roberts.
The join up is used for getting your horse working for you on the 'freestyle method' But what most people don't know is that its also an action in the free nature of a horse. The horse is an herd animal, and the 'join up' idea in the wild is that a horse may choose, or he listens to the leader of the herd, or he leaves. When a horse gets alone in the wild, the chance of dying is pretty big. So when ur doing a join up with a horse you give him a chance: or accept you as the leader, or wander off alone and die. Rude, but its how it works in a horse his eyes. So when you do this to much, or unneeded, your horse gets traumatisized, you can also break the pride of your horse or break the bond with your horse, and that would be not cool.
The join up is only for people who really can read a horse, and know what they're doing. Its also only nessecary when you have a very dominant or agressive horse, to make him clear that YOU are the leader of his herd.

Another example:
The use of bodylanguage
When you use the wrong way of body language while working a horse he might get just confused at the first place, but because you are the leader he will go to copy it. And when that happens and your horse is in his real horse herd or just with other horses, he might use the wrong body language against his fellow horses, and that gives stress between horses, because they won't understand eachother anymore.

And there are so much more of examples.
So when you are into natural horsemanship,
please, know what you are doing.

kitten_Val 09-08-2010 07:22 AM

I didn't have a slightest knowledge when I got CA and Buck's DVDs while back, when I had some serious ground issues with my alpha mare youngster. However they helped a lot. Many people do not copy the trainer, they listen and learn (and I must admit many trainers do a very good job explaining the body language and what they do and why). I re-watched what I was interested in like 3-5 times to get all details and information I could get.

herdbound 09-08-2010 09:11 AM

NH has it's place and it has taught us to be more aware of the importance of body language. Sometimes I get PO'd by the amount of detail that is placed on the "exacts" of how to do this or that with a horse because I think it takes out the natural interaction and stunts the development of the relationship. For example, if you went out on a date with someone new, would you want to have a list a mile long in your head about how you should be standing and what you should be saying. You would be a nervous wreck trying to keep track of if you are doing something right or wrong. Building a relationship with a horse is much the same, it has to be natural and smooth. Some techniques like join up are just having a conversation with your horse in a way it understands. I personally LOVE join up, and if you do it right, you shouldn't have to keep doing it over and over again. I think the most overused and wrongly administered horse enteraction is the use of the lunge line. That is my pet peeve...lunging a horse ALL the freakin time for everything. I know NH frowns on lunging and that is one thing I will agree with them on.

.Delete. 09-08-2010 09:35 AM

I agree with KV, many people watch those DVD's and take in the information and put it to use as they see fit, as what works best for them. Many do not try to "mimic" exactly what they are doing just take bits and pieces and add it to their collection. I for one loved CA before he would stop in the middle of teaching a horse to tell you to buy something =/

kitten_Val 09-08-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Delete. (Post 742875)
I agree with KV, many people watch those DVD's and take in the information and put it to use as they see fit, as what works best for them. Many do not try to "mimic" exactly what they are doing just take bits and pieces and add it to their collection. I for one loved CA before he would stop in the middle of teaching a horse to tell you to buy something =/

Does he indeed do it now? :shock: I guess I have older set then. I believe he talks about halter and may be (don't remember) the stick in the very beginning, but definitely not in mid of training session.

.Delete. 09-08-2010 11:10 AM

Ohyes his new videos he will stop in the middle of everything an talk about something that is forsale. Its terrible
Posted via Mobile Device

Visibre 09-08-2010 12:06 PM

Well, here in holland, its very common people just copy it :)
So, I'm not attacking anyone I hope?

.Delete. 09-08-2010 12:14 PM

Attacking? I see no attacking going on...

Visibre 09-08-2010 12:38 PM

then exuse me for my misunderstanding
I'm still pratising at english :P

Northern 09-08-2010 02:05 PM

Visibre, your message was sincere & thought-provoking & in the interest of the horse, so you needn't apologize for that, nor for not speaking English well enough. Your English is understandable, anyway.