The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Critique please (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/critique-please-64282/)

KateS 09-08-2010 10:49 AM

Critique please

Just a little background on my mare. She is 3 yrs old this year, she has had about 4 months reining training put on her at the beginning of the year. I have started her on barrels as she is going to be my barrel horse starting when she is 5. I hadn't worked her on barrels for about 3 months prior to Monday. Before this video I had walked the pattern once, jogged once, loped twice. So this was my 5th time around the pattern that day. Please be honest in your critique on myself as well as her. If you have any suggestions please let me know as I am open to trying new stuff to improve.

Just a side note... this is the fastest I have ever taken her around the barrels (minus the jog ;) ) and I won't be taking her around the barrels again this year as she is now at home. I do not push her more than she can take mentally and physically. I also do not run the barrel pattern very much (as mentioned) and I have mostly been working on her reining training. Next year I will be showing her in reining again as well as starting on barrels again.

Here is the link to the video and please enjoy.
Thanks

BarrelRacer86 09-08-2010 12:41 PM

My only comment is use one hand around the barrels to take pressure off the outside rein, she'd probably come off the barrels closer then.

KateS 09-08-2010 12:57 PM

Thanks. She has a tendancy to cut in slightly too soon and then leave the barrel wide so I have to hold her out alot then turn and then I forget to switch to one hand. I guess I should just hold her out with my inside rein and leg then turn at the appropriate time. Somehow just feels safer with two hands :)

corinowalk 09-08-2010 02:13 PM

You are my new buddy! What a great way to start a *real* barrel horse! I love that she is getting reining training. I looooove that she neck reins (even though I agree with BR that maybe one rein for a while til she learns closer is better) and what I love the most....you stopped her in the middle of the two barrels and showed her the change! All the girls I see ride these days do their lead change RIGHT as they get to the barrel. Its better to get it done out in the open. I love that you arent pushing the run home. Love it.

Kudos girl! You are doing a great job with this one! And even if she doesn't turn out to be the fastest horse...she still will have value as a horse that will still have a brain intact at the end of barrel training!

KateS 09-08-2010 02:53 PM

Haha thanks. Actually normally she does a flying change right after the first barrel (even before the middle). My trainer taught me that after coming around 1st turn as if going to 3rd and then switch leads right after the barrel and go straight to 2nd. Not sure if that makes sense.

I'm not too worried about her not being fast enough. When I do run downs into the sliding stop (with sliders) she sure can boogy. The other day I just wanted her to lope a bit faster and she took off (little crazy moment). But the key things that I aim for is 1. to be able to walk into the arena relaxed 2. To do my lead change in the correct spot 3. on the run home to be able to stop at the fence rather than run huge circle. The best part is that all of that is something that she has to know to do reining. She has another year and a half to learn how to use her speed properly.

corinowalk 09-08-2010 02:56 PM

Thats great! What a great trainer you have! She looks like she is built for speed! At 3, shes got a great mind on her.

BarrelRacer86 09-08-2010 03:33 PM

Back again, after watching again I noticed you have your hands very high, you want to keep them down by her neck and when turning the barrel, drop the outside rein and pull your elbow back to your waist, instead of sticking your arm out to the side. Try it anyway.

KateS 09-08-2010 04:10 PM

Actually you don't want to put your hand down. If you want to know why so many horses fall around the barrel, it is because people pull down thus the horse drops its shoulder. If you pull out to the side/up your horse is way less likely to drop their shoulder.
I agree with the first part though. I should have my hands lower other than when I go around the barrel. And I will definately work on going one handed around the barrel.

nrhareiner 09-08-2010 04:12 PM

At that speed you need more of a pocket. Once you speed it up she is going to be hitting the barrels. It also looks like she is dropping her shoulder. You might want to work on picking her up around the turn.

BarrelRacer86 09-08-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateS (Post 743295)
Actually you don't want to put your hand down. If you want to know why so many horses fall around the barrel, it is because people pull down thus the horse drops its shoulder. If you pull out to the side/up your horse is way less likely to drop their shoulder.
I agree with the first part though. I should have my hands lower other than when I go around the barrel. And I will definately work on going one handed around the barrel.

The act of pulling your elbow back is what picks up a horse's shoulder (so they can't fall), pulling out will just let her drop her shoulder even more.

Your not pulling down your pulling up, look at where my inside arm is in my avatar, it's up and straight back. I'm keeping my mare's shoulder picked up so she can't get down so low to either 1) knock or 2) fall