The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   He gets emotional when the BLUE BUCKET is around (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/he-gets-emotional-when-blue-bucket-64344/)

Citrus 09-09-2010 12:22 AM

He gets emotional when the BLUE BUCKET is around

Well I only give Citrus grain/treats from a blue bucket... yet it is clear that when I bring out the blue bucket, he gets a bit loopy. I was wondering if I should leave the blue bucket out always or if I should stop the blue bucket all together and alternate buckets... I have blue and black.

Keep in mind Citrus is not a dangerous guy. But he does paw and turn to find the bucket when he knows it is around. Also if he sees it, training is off- meaning his mind is focused only on the bucket. I have been making him do ground work (trots, turns fore and hind, stops and reverses) in sight of the bucket..... that is working in baby steps. I just do not want to create a blue bucket crazed guy. Any ideas?

riccil0ve 09-09-2010 03:00 AM

I imagine you are feeding him treats in the bucket so you aren't hand-feeding them? In all reality, it's the same thing. The only difference is you can protect your fingers while treating him in a bucket, but it will create the same bad manners if you had just used your hands.

For grain, my filly has a hard time giving my space when I put the tub down. I bring my dressage whip into the stall with me, and get her to back off. She must hang out away from me and "stay," much like a dog would, until I give her the okay to come eat.

The same technique in reverse, have your horse tied in the barn. Put his grain where he usually eats it, and lead him back to his stall. If he gets over-excited or pushy, turn around [away from you] and head the opposite way. Rotate between that and halting/backing up a few steps, and continuing to walk right by the stall entrance.

My friend backs her mare into the stall if she gets too rushy. Also, don't take his halter off and let him run away. You should step away before he steps towards his grain. Keep his lead rope wrapped around his neck, and slowly, slowly, take his halter off. Unbuckle it and slowly work it down his face. Hold his nose until he's calm. When you release his nose, use the wrapped lead rope on his neck to remind him that you are still there, and he still has to wait. Then slowly take the lead rope away. When you step away, that should be his "okay."

In short, his problem is not the blue bucket. He has bad manners, and they would show up as soon as he realized a different colored bucket still meant treats and grain.

I know this is getting long, but regarding treats. I do not give my little one treats. Ever. She's still a baby and still gets pushy, I won't give her the excuse. She gets lovings. It doesn't hurt her feelings any to not get treats. I just don't give my mare treats in front of her. With my mare, she knows how to "leave it." She can't take a treat from me, I have to bring the treat to her lips. I taught her just like you'd teach a dog. I hold a treat in my hands, and poke her nose away every time she reaches for it. When she directs her attention elsewhere, I give her the treat. The only exception is when we stretch, and she knows the difference because I have cues for stretches. I scratch her loins when I want her to stretch to her hips, I scratch the chestnuts on her front legs when I want her to bring a leg forward and stretch down.

G and K's Mom 09-09-2010 09:02 PM

I agree, it isn't the colour of the bucket.... You've trained him to expect treats when the "bucket" comes out. What I'm not understanding is why there is a bucket anywhere near where your training him?????

Give him his treats where he is fed only, problem solved......