The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   A new "how to." (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/new-how-64346/)

Charis 09-08-2010 11:50 PM

A new "how to."

Linda Parelli shows how to effectivly hit with the snap - Barnmice Equestrian Social Community

I am just sharing this link as it was linked to me by a friend. Controversial? Yes. It also helps explain why my position on Parelli is the way it is.

AlexS 09-09-2010 12:36 AM

I kept thinking that I didn't have enough time to watch that, but I stuck with it.

It seemed to me that the pony was doing nothing wrong at the time that the punishment was correctly delivered according to the instructor.

I thought that they believed in using as little force as is needed, I am quickly losing any hope in PP from the things I see here. I can understand doing that with an aggresive or dangerous horse, but what do that poor pony do other than not understand?

Charis 09-09-2010 12:37 AM

I don't understand what they are asking the horse to do, and why the horse keeps getting punishied without any warning or release at all.

AlexS 09-09-2010 12:45 AM

I am guessing that she was teaching the human at the expense of the horse, which is a terrible shame.

Spastic_Dove 09-09-2010 01:05 AM

This is the lamest form of horsemanship I have seen in awhile. I watched some parelli videos back in the day and tried some of it and found it just wasnt for me and like I was training for the circus. However I would not of thought that they would have condoned "training" like this.

Why does she need to have the horse so far behind and away from her to lead?
It seems like she corrects the horse at random intervals and distances.

Is she encouraging twaping the horse with the clip of the lead rope?

wouldn't it be easier to just teach your horse to back like a normal horse instead of wiggling all over the place and just annoying the poor thing?

Is it really that effective to keep correcting your horse for something he did a minute or so ago because you can't perform the correction?

Is it me or the first time when she takes over the horse from 'Holly' her body language is just very overwhelming to the horse to begin with?

I'm honestly curious to the answers to these questions from Parelli advocates. I hear from many how they were at their route good horsemen that just got caught up in marketing. That they have good training methods but people have a hard time implementing them.

I do not see this as good training. It seems like an overreaction. The horse seems just as clueless as I am.

PaintedFury 09-09-2010 01:43 AM

That's funny, and contradictory to what I've always been told and practiced. A horse is supposed to lead at your shoulder, that way if it spooks it doesn't plow you over. Not to mention my mare would come unglued is someone hit her in the face with a clip on purpose. Linda would be picking herself up off the ground after Lady took off backwards dragging Linda with her. Lady has been hit in the face with a clip (by accident) because she tossed her head just right while working on ground manners, and the clip flipped up and popped her one. She ran backwards so fast that I couldn't keep up, I had to drop the lead rope to keep from being pulled off my feet. As soon as she calmed down, she came right back to me. The sad part is we were working on about a 25 foot lounge line, and she was about 15 or so feet out with enough slack in the line that it was just barely off the ground. Needless to say she doesn't toss her head around like that anymore. She's always been real sensitive to pressure on her face, but when she gets spooked, all bets are off, and that clip hitting her spooked her. Normally she is very quiet, and doesn't spook at anything. She can be high strung, but for the most part now, her spooking consists of her turning to face whatever it is that spooked her and staring at it. That hasn't always been the case, but it is now, with the exception of my husband of course. She's terrified of him for some reason that I can not figure out, but that's another story!

farmpony84 09-09-2010 10:29 AM

I'm not a Parrelli fan but I didn't see any abuse in the video. That pony was trying to run past her each time they changed directions, That rider was probably pretty nervous dealing with a horse that had ground manners like that. I personally don't want to be run past and run down when walking my horse. I think she was actually teaching her correctly.

kitten_Val 09-09-2010 10:46 AM

As a matter of fact Clinton Anderson is using the similar technique (look at his "Respect on ground" dvds). I also have seen John Lyons certified trainer (working with rescue horses at defhr) doing it when horse misbehaved. Should we jump on them as well?

Do I think it's a good approach? No. Is it abuse? I don't think so.

Alwaysbehind 09-09-2010 11:03 AM

I did not watch the whole thing. I am not sure how much was left after I stopped (I watched until after Linda took the horse back from the owner after the owner walked around some on their own).

I agree that a horse should not plow over you when walking, etc.

I do not agree that you should teach your horse to walk behind you and punish it every time it starts to catch up to where it is supposed to be.

Fine, punish it for trying to run over you. But it is stupid to punish it for simply being next to you.

There were times that this pony was walking quietly and all it did was get to where I am sure it was taught to walk and it was whacked. That is not appropriate.

Can someone please tell me why that woman is always wearing her chaps? And why do they walk like a freak? What is the arm flapping about?

kitten_Val 09-09-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 744209)
Can someone please tell me why that woman is always wearing her chaps?

Because she looks hot in them! :!: Making us all jealous about it! :mrgreen: