The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   HUGE confidence issue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/huge-confidence-issue-64357/)

XxemmafuriaxX 09-09-2010 06:31 AM

HUGE confidence issue

Hi i had a fall last week in my lesson and really hurt my back and hit my head pretty hard well in my lesson this week i was petrified! :-x ive never been scared! i used to get on any horse put in front of me and now even just jumping a tiny cross bar i got really tense i didnt want to canter would get very tense at a trot! :-( i got off after my hour lesson shaking like a leaf and crying! :oops: i dont know whether any of you have been through this before... i dont know where to go from here. i still love riding but my body just doesnt seem to be able to relax. i just kinda lock up.. sorry about the rant i just dont really know what to do from here.
any answers would be highly apreciated.

Pilot 09-09-2010 07:20 AM

Try mounting then trotting or walking a distance you are comfortable with then dismounting. Wait a minute or so until you are calm again and repeat this. As you become more comfortable try increasing the distance OR cantering the same shorter distance. Then canter a longer distance. Once you are comfortable with cantering a little longer distance try to add a very small jump. Get off, calm down then get back on and do the jump again. The main thing is not to push yourself to far to quickly but to still have a steady urge to go forward. A motivation you can use for getting back on is the want to have to be able to be fearless about riding again. Hope this helps.

~Corine~

XxemmafuriaxX 09-09-2010 07:24 AM

Hi thanks for the idea i may try this this afternoon. i will try anything to be as confident as i was before. my teacher said this will be good for me (once i get my confidence back) because ti will make me stronger but right now i dont see things like that hah

kitten_Val 09-09-2010 07:29 AM

Lots of walking! You can learn lots of things on walk! Stop, bend, turn, etc. Don't get back to trot till you'll be absolutely comfortable on walk. And don't do TROT, do jog at first, than faster. Don't worry, just relax and breath deep while on back. :D

XxemmafuriaxX 09-09-2010 07:30 AM

thanks i just wanted to know aswell has anyone else been through this? it would be nice to know its not just me being a whimp lmao

speedy da fish 09-09-2010 07:31 AM

XxemmafuriaxX, we've all been there. I think you are just tense because this fall has happened in your recent past. The last thing you want to do it take a break from riding, many people think this help but IMO, it doesn't; the longer you leave it, the worse the tension will get. You need to keep riding and eventually the enjoyment will come back. Take it easy and your confidence will soon come back to the level it once was. x

kitten_Val 09-09-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxemmafuriaxX (Post 744039)
thanks i just wanted to know aswell has anyone else been through this? it would be nice to know its not just me being a whimp lmao

I'm through that every spring after my horses are off riding for 3 months and I'm not in "riding" shape myself. :wink:

XxemmafuriaxX 09-09-2010 07:33 AM

yes i was going to take a month off but my instructor begged me not to she said it would make things much worse so seeing as i look up to her i took her advice it jst seems i crumble when i mount :S

VelvetsAB 09-09-2010 08:15 AM

I freak myself out sometimes, but it is all just in my head. Falls terrify me still after years and years of riding. But your coach is right that you need to ride again right away. If you dont, it gets harder, even the day after. It does get easier to deal with once you figure out what you need to tell yourself that it is ok and that you can do it.

mbender 09-09-2010 08:32 AM

Be there done that! Jumping back on can definetley help. Taking your time and breathing. Was this your horse you fell off of? What happened to make the fall? It does happen and will happen again. I found if I fell, it was my fault. Miscomunication between me and my horse or not being prepared.