The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Beginner interested in jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/beginner-interested-jumping-64358/)

Pilot 09-09-2010 07:10 AM

Beginner interested in jumping

I'm interested in learning how to jump yet I cannot afford lessons because of being a student with little income. Is there another way to learn? My horse and I are as green a spring grass so I completely understand we need to begin with simple things but I do not know where I can find the information on correct body form and what I can substitute for expensive jumping supplies(hay bales maybe?).
Any information, words of wisdom, tips or videos are appreciated.
Thank you

ErikaLynn 09-09-2010 10:19 AM

You really need a trainer for jumping. It's a dangerous thing to learn on your own. Especially since you and your horse are very green

Regan7312 09-09-2010 10:25 AM

I am a student with a small income and I work my butt off at my barn to be able to ride, along with my other job and school. find a barn and see if you can do work in exchange for riding/lessons.
i would not try to learn alone, that could be disastrious and lead to bad habits.

equiniphile 09-09-2010 10:30 AM

Yes, it's expencive, but lessons are the only way someone should learn to jump, especially with a green rider and horse. Please don't use hay bales to learn on, either. If the horse's foot were to get caught in it....

kitten_Val 09-09-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regan7312 (Post 744173)
I am a student with a small income and I work my butt off at my barn to be able to ride, along with my other job and school. find a barn and see if you can do work in exchange for riding/lessons.
i would not try to learn alone, that could be disastrious and lead to bad habits.

I second that. I know at least 3 or 4 jumping and eventing barns. You work there and get lesson as a pay.

Pilot 09-09-2010 09:20 PM

Okay. I know a trainer near my house but, i do not know if she teaches jumping. I will find out ASAP. Thanks

StormyBlues 09-11-2010 02:51 PM

Yeah, def get a trainer. Jumping without a trainer can never lead to anything good.

Lonannuniel 09-11-2010 03:15 PM

i agree, a trainer is manditory. if you have a small income, you might be able to work off a lesson on a saturday or sunday, or any other time you aren't at school. Thats what i do, i clean my trainers tack & barn in exchange for two lessons a week.

countmystrides 09-11-2010 03:23 PM

i've been riding since i was six. i remember my first time jumping i was very experienced in flat work etc. it was a group lesson and i was on a completely push button pony. they trainer said everyone go over the cross rail and i was like what? me too? & she was like yep your ready.. i had NO idea what to do.. i was like do i just like trot and steer him at it? i'm so confused.. how does the horse know i want to jump it. the pony was very experienced. i went to it and he just plopped over it. it was the smallest jump ever.. but it's amazing how unsure i was of it. if you've never jumped before i wouldn't recommend just trying it. especially if your horse has never done it. you and him have no idea what a jump is, there's no possible way of overcoming that successfully.