The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   sacking out (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/sacking-out-64383/)

mramsay 09-09-2010 03:43 PM

sacking out

I was wondering what people have used as sacking out tools and tricks or techniques they use to help desensitize their horse beyond the standard lead rope/plastic bag, etc. What types of visuals/ sounds have you used, what have you tried to simuate? I am hoping to turn my young horse into a wonderful trail horse that doesnt spook at his own shadow, and trusts me for guidence and to protect him from harm. He isnt that spooky; just inexperienced, and I am looking for fun/unique was to build his confidence...
Thanks in Advance!

mbender 09-09-2010 04:58 PM

Anything and everything. Have someone honk a car horn, ride a bike past, rattle the tree branches, walk past boulders, dogs, motorcycles, atvs... Anything you think you would encounter on the trail. Plastic bags flying. Remember to work with things getting caught on the legs too.
Posted via Mobile Device

G and K's Mom 09-09-2010 08:04 PM

I see your in BC, if your in the lower mainland I would highly suggest you article a Jonathan Field ground clinic. Best $25 bucks you'll ever spend

smrobs 09-09-2010 08:40 PM

Normally, I just use the saddle pad prior to saddling them for the first time or 2 to sack them out but when Dobe was a greenie, I used everything I could find; ropes, blankets, plastic bags, paper bags, my nylon jacket. But, he wasn't just a little snorty either, he was absolutely mortified of every single thing.

nrhareiner 09-09-2010 09:20 PM

I do not do a lot of sacking out as what you would think of as the norm. I start them once they hit the ground learning how to react when something scares them.

I look at it this way. There is no way to get them use to everything. SO I want them to learn the proper way to react when they do get scared. This way when they come access things that scare them they always react the same way.

It is like teaching a kid how to learn not to memorize things but how to find the answer. This is what I do with the horses.

mramsay 09-09-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G and K's Mom (Post 744660)
I see your in BC, if your in the lower mainland I would highly suggest you article a Jonathan Field ground clinic. Best $25 bucks you'll ever spend

No, I live in the "cariboo" region

mramsay 09-09-2010 09:23 PM

Another thing I am going to try is bringing my doberman on short rides and let him zip in and out of the bush and make lots of noise--he isnt graceful and he creates alot of stir

smrobs 09-09-2010 09:30 PM

That is a good thing for a horse, but make sure that you have a good handle on his head and that you can for sure get him stopped if he spooks and over-reacts.

ericka 09-10-2010 04:02 AM

my boy hates it when i drag jump poles around while i lead him so now whenever i have the time i walk around with a jump pole in my hand while i lead him. now its a lot easier if i hafve to carry somthing heavy and lead him at the same time. also everything is a lot scarieer in teh dark so if possible do everything that you would normally do on the ground in the dark.

Emmy2 09-10-2010 03:17 PM

proper way to react?

All I know is to teach them to stop and not panic and run. A driving trainer told me that you have to teach them whoa as there life depends on it.