The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Is This a Reasonable Price? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/reasonable-price-64387/)

AngelWithoutWings54 09-09-2010 04:10 PM

Is This a Reasonable Price?

I know prices are different from state to state and they depend on the area, but does it sound reasonable to pay $600 a month for use of a stall, a pasture shared with another horse, 2 outdoor rings, 2 indoor rings, a heated wash stall, a tack locker, trails, bathrooms, a lounge, and a small kitchen?

The barn is a half hour away from my house, and we live in an area that has many barns at cheaper prices. The facilities aren't as good as the one where I go now, but the price is cheaper.

Does it sound reasonable, or are we paying too much?

ErikaLynn 09-09-2010 04:14 PM

Yes that sounds really reasonable.

It's almost as much as my rent, but it sounds better than my apartment. :D

Speed Racer 09-09-2010 04:15 PM

Is feed and hay included in that price?

If so, then yes, it's a decent price considering everything that you're getting.

AngelWithoutWings54 09-09-2010 04:21 PM

^ Yep, feed and hay is included, as well as they turn out and bring in, check the horse for any cuts or injuries, and all that stuff. And they muck stalls, ect.

GuitarChump 09-09-2010 04:33 PM

Sounds pretty good. The barns around here are generally $650.

AngelWithoutWings54 09-09-2010 05:03 PM

The reason that I ask is that I found a barn 20 minutes away from my house with the same facilities for $200 less. I want to stay at my current barn because I've ridden there my whole life, but I think that the money saved on board would be really beneficial and I could buy so much more for the horse.

maura 09-09-2010 05:47 PM

I would do some more research and see if you can discover *why* it's $200. cheaper. Trust me, there's a reason. The cost of board is about 50% labor, and 40% other overhead. The cheaper barn *has* to be cutting that cost someplace. Make sure you and your horse can live with the difference.

And while $200. a month would do a lot for my budget; a good, well-run, boarding facility that a horseowner is happy with is rare and precious. Just read some of the boarding rants here!

churumbeque 09-09-2010 06:26 PM

I am not sure why you didn't say where you live. In NY that would be cheap in the midwest that would be expensive. The most expensive place here and it is heated in the winter is 385.00 with all the amenities you mentioned

corinowalk 09-09-2010 06:30 PM

Same here. The most expensive place in my area is close to Pittsburgh and it is $425/month but that gets you tons. Pound for pound, that stable is worth it. Heated everything, individual stalls, tons of GOOD pasture, fed 3xday free choice hay, two big indoors, 3 big outdoors, 4 roundpens and over 100 stalls. Not to mention its either adjacent or connected to North Park, a huge trail riding park where you are permitted to ride and there are frequent shows.

ShutUpJoe 09-09-2010 06:31 PM

For me that is expensive. I must live in a way different place from you. Around here is it half or even less than half of that for full care with those facilities.