The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   dragging hide legs over jump. boo. (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/dragging-hide-legs-over-jump-boo-64410/)

wren 09-09-2010 09:14 PM

dragging hide legs over jump. boo.

3 Attachment(s)
Recently my gelding has been doing a strange thing: every once in a while he will drag his hind legs of a XC jump. He gets his front feet over ok, but then it feels like he doesn't have enough power in his hind end....and ends up scrambling over with his back legs. It really has only happened about three times, but the last time ended up with me on the ground, his hoof on my chest, and a look from him like "what are you doing down there?" THe times this has happened have been in about the middle of the ride, once we are nice and warmed up over fences, but not when he's all tired at the end.

Could this just be a lack of power? Is something totally wrong with his hind end? Is he telling me he doesn't love jumping like i do? Are the jumps too high? Has anyone every had this happen?

i did have the chiro out just before this started happening and he was all fine and dandy.

ok, here's a couple of pics of him jumping normal smaller XC things so you can see his normal form. i don't have any videos or pics of him doing the scrambling thing

Attachment 40378

Attachment 40379

Attachment 40380

eventerdrew 09-10-2010 01:04 PM

sounds like he needs to do gymnastics to get his back end tight. Lots of one strides and bounces at a low height should do the trick

MIEventer 09-10-2010 10:30 PM

Could this be due to conformation? Or breeding? Have you discussed this issue with a veterinarian to see what they have to say?

This sounds odd and scarey.....I would definately be going back to stadium fences to remedy this if it can be, before going over any type of CC fence.

wren 09-11-2010 06:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
these are the closest to confirmation shots as i have...

Attachment 40542

Attachment 40543

His breeding includes a racing TB daddy and a Beligian Warmblood mom (think country belgium, not draft horse). After reading up on Belgian WBs it sounds like they are usually bred for jumpers.

I just don't know. i rode a horse my trainer has for sale today and WOW does he have a jump. It really illustrated for me what it is like when a horse actually loves to jump. I mean my guy is always willing and brave (and usually happy), but this horse WANTED/LOVED/NEEDED to do it.

The thing that is confusing is that it is not a constant problem...but enough that it scares me a bit.

kelley horsemad 09-17-2010 04:46 PM

It seems to me that sometimes you’re just a little too in the tack at the apex of the jump – in the last, if not the last two photos. You sitting down too early (or not getting off his back at all) could certainly contribute to the issue you’re currently facing. Also, if you moved your hands down a couple of inches (not losing contact) you’d allow him more freedom to use his neck and back more effectively. :)

MudPaint 09-18-2010 01:07 PM

I agree with Kelley... he looks like he's all balled up in the front. This could be the cause especially if you've ridden like this for years and perhaps your catching him or sitting down. However, usually hind knocks don't make that rough of a jump that the rider comes off.

Have you had him checked for stifle issues. A friend had purchased a horse (no pre purchase exam) that had a loose stifle and sometimes when jumping she'd get stuck and have to hitch the leg which was disastrous.

MadisonLuver10 10-20-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 752817)
I agree with Kelley... he looks like he's all balled up in the front. This could be the cause especially if you've ridden like this for years and perhaps your catching him or sitting down. However, usually hind knocks don't make that rough of a jump that the rider comes off.

Have you had him checked for stifle issues. A friend had purchased a horse (no pre purchase exam) that had a loose stifle and sometimes when jumping she'd get stuck and have to hitch the leg which was disastrous.

We had a horse, Charm at our arn with a loose stifle, while it didn't hirt him, it was almost like his leg got caught and he couldn't easily put it down, which could be the problem, I didn't think of that. There's a way to help it but I forget how.. I might look it up just because it's going to bug me.

MudPaint 10-20-2010 07:53 PM

Depending on the stifle issues, building the muscle in the hind end can help with soundness issues. A lot of hill work was the diagnoses with the horse I mentioned. I would recommend talking to a vet first. A mare I looked at and would have been the cutest AA hunter, had loose stifles, I thought I could strenghten her up and she'd be ok... vet said no way. She actually has problems even going down hills and has been retired (at age 6) to a flat lesson horse.

EquusPeace 12-20-2010 08:43 PM

Looks like your horse needs to build some hind muscles, work on a lot of hill work and lunging works wonders! My gelding has the same issue and we stopped jumping for a few months and focused on building his balance and strength on the flat.

DiamondCommander 01-17-2011 01:02 AM

Does appear to be standing funny and muscle tone in the hind looks off to me - maybe a vet check would be worth considering. Good luck!