The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Collection question? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/collection-question-6442/)

SonnyWimps 02-27-2008 01:33 PM

Collection question?

I have a way to get my horse, Sonny, to collect himself...but...
What are ways that you all use to keep your horse collected?

I hold my hands on the reins where if he collects himself, the reins will be loose, but if he doesn't it will be tight on his mouth. It works alright, but he does fight it sometimes. That's what my trainer suggested...either that or switching bits and putting a training fork on him.

Sonny isn't used to training forks, martingales, or anything harsh. So I don't want to just put it on him and have him panic...but I'm thinking I might need to use one for a while.

Thanks in advance

FGRanch 02-27-2008 01:43 PM

I work on collection before I even start riding my horse. Lunge him with his head tied down (loosely) and gradually get tighter as he learns to collect and stop fighting it. I find it works really well to get them the basics of collection.

SonnyWimps 02-27-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch
I work on collection before I even start riding my horse. Lunge him with his head tied down (loosely) and gradually get tighter as he learns to collect and stop fighting it. I find it works really well to get them the basics of collection.

how would I do that? Would I just saddle him up and put a martingale or training fork on him?
That sounds like a wonderful idea, but I really don't know how I'd get his head tied down. Any equiptment that you'd need?

Also, free lungeing or on a line? Usually a free lunge him but I can do either and so can he

EDIT: Also, since he isn't used to anything harsh on him, how would I go about introducing it to him so he doesn't freak out? Or would I put it on him, let him have his fit?

FGRanch 02-27-2008 03:03 PM

Do you ride English or Westren?

Usually what I do is saddle my horses up, bridle them (with a o ring snaffle) with long split reins. On a westren saddle there is a loop on either side of the girth. I tie the reins to those loops, with just a little bit of pressure the first time, so they don't freak out.

When they are staying collected with that amount of pressure tighten it a bit more..and then just keep doing that until they have the collection level that you would want.

Hope this helps.

mlkarel2010 02-27-2008 09:50 PM

We do about the same thing as FGR said.... depending on where the horse is we tie them in different ways...... sometimes through the stirrups and up behind the seat and other places..... idk, haven't really asked a lot of questions about that...... dang, i don't have any pictures....... sorry

SonnyWimps 02-27-2008 10:32 PM

I ride English and Western...but can't ride Western with Sonny at the moment due to none of the western saddles that my BO has fits him...all are too big...at least the 3 that I tried on are.

I'll try doing that...hopefully it will work.

I was totally impressed that once I got him collected today, and when I asked for a canter, he kept it for about 10 seconds. I know that's not along time but it will build up