The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   question about horse poop texture (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/question-about-horse-poop-texture-64507/)

Gidget 09-11-2010 01:44 AM

question about horse poop texture

My horse's poop has been hard pieces that seperate. I can tell it has moisture cause it leaves a spot on the floor and...this is gross but when she sometimes steps in it fluids come so that's good but isn't the horse poop suppose to be in piles and kinda...together? Her poop seperates into these kidney bean shape things....sorry for the detailed information..but is that healthy?

riccil0ve 09-11-2010 05:04 AM

I would be concerned if it were different than normal. For the most part, so long as she doesn't have the squirts or is passing hard, dry pellets, she's okay. My two horses are fed the same. They share from the same hay pile, they eat the same amount of the same grain. But they both have different poop. While Gracie's is more firm and "apple" shaped, Ricci's is more fibrous. They're both healthy, just different. =]

MaggiStar 09-11-2010 08:55 AM

If your horse is on grass 24-7 there poop will be a lot losser and be green.
If they are getting feed etc then i would expect it to be in small balls that crumple when they hit the ground so your horses sound like there healthy.
However if there was a drastic poop change id start doing monitoring to ensure nothing is going on. Its alot to do with diet

Gidget 09-11-2010 02:09 PM

Hey guys.
She is on grass 24/7 but the grass is sparse now since we have 4 horses on the pasture so we have been feeding them their hay which just grass/clover hay. and I also have her on vitamins and probiotics and I mix it with wheat bran(not a whole lot) so she will eat it. She poops all the time. Maybe it's because there is less grass now. She has never had soft poop that practically all went together. I will keep an eye out on it. She seems healthy though and she does have moisture in it and she drinks water.

smrobs 09-11-2010 04:18 PM

Yep, those firm little bean shaped pellets about the size of an egg are completely normal. If she starts having poop that is very loose (more like pancake batter or cow poop), then you should look at her diet. Until then, she's fine. :D

Gidget 09-11-2010 07:03 PM

alright,thanks! =D I feel better.

vivache 09-11-2010 08:58 PM

You're still giving her wheat bran? Be careful with it.. it can lead to big issues.

Gidget 09-11-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivache (Post 746373)
You're still giving her wheat bran? Be careful with it.. it can lead to big issues.

Yes. I talked to my vet and asked them if it was okay. The vet has a degree in nutrition and it is okay for her. I only give her a small bit. I also give her vitamins with calicium in it. She won't eat her vitamins or probiotics without it.

vivache 09-11-2010 09:02 PM

Have you tried rice bran? It might be more tasty, and is definitely more healthy.

trailhorserider 09-11-2010 11:25 PM

Just curious- why would rice bran be healthier than wheat bran? Both are very high in phosphorous. I know rice bran has more fat. But other than that?