The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please Critique my new pony. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-my-new-pony-64508/)

HorseRLife 09-11-2010 02:30 AM

Please Critique my new pony.

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I just got a new pony today. He is really sweet. I would like it if you could Critique him.
Here's some info on him:

Name: Archie
Height: 14hh
Colour: Grey
Breed: Arab X Welsh.

Sorry the pictures arn't that good it's the first day we had him and he was a bit nevous.

Here are some pictures of him.

HorseRLife 09-11-2010 09:57 PM

Come on please help me!

countmystrides 09-11-2010 10:16 PM

too cute ! what are your plans for him?

kitten_Val 09-11-2010 10:37 PM

He looks like having very high withers (so can be a problem to find a saddle to fit well). He's very cute, and has gentle face and adorable ears. :D What do you plan to do with him?

lilruffian 09-11-2010 10:38 PM

I love his face! :D
As for confo, his withers are a bit high (they should line up with his point of croup...)
Are those dark patches on his shoulder & neck natural?

HorseRLife 09-12-2010 01:06 AM

The dark patchs on his chest is where he has been rubing on the gate at his old home. And the ones on his shoulder are rug rubs because the old owners had a poorly fitting rug.

Solon 09-14-2010 01:54 AM

He's not well balanced. He's got a really long neck compared to the rest of his body. I like the look of his face though.

HorseRLife 09-14-2010 04:25 AM

What do you mean?

~*~anebel~*~ 09-14-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 748343)
He's not well balanced. He's got a really long neck compared to the rest of his body. I like the look of his face though.

I don't know what horse you're looking at.. His neck is actually a bit short.

I like his overall balance - nice and uphill with a well set neck. His hindquarters are a bit weak looking but with correct training they can be strengthened. His back is a fair length. He is slightly pigeon breasted as well. I can't really critique the legs, but there is nothing glaring the hind legs may be a bit straight, but they are well under. His throatlach is not as refined as I would expect from the breed, but it is still good. Keep an eye on his feet - although they are not visible from the picture it looks like the angle is a bit steep and that they are a bit small.

I quite like him and he looks like a good lower level dressage horse. Although all horses can do dressage he is what I would say is "ideal" for someone wanting to learn because he is built correctly for the sport. I don't see him having an issue with basic collection - except for strength in the hind quarters - but caveletti and correct basics will help that.

Good luck!

ellygraceee 09-14-2010 04:53 PM

I fully agree with Anebel. Uphill is a good thing for dressage =] Are you able to get a square shot of him without that hind leg parked out back? I'm pretty sure that he'd be higher in the croup if he was standing properly. Well, that's how it appears to me.
He's cute though =]