The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Thoroughbreds? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/thoroughbreds-64557/)

barrelracer7335 09-11-2010 10:07 PM

Thoroughbreds?

I have three off the track thoroughbreds that i run barrels on and they are faster then most of my other horses. What are your thoughts about taking a TB of the track and running them in barrels?

lilruffian 09-11-2010 11:44 PM

I dont see an issue with it. THey already know how to change leads, break & go fast, they just have to get the turns down.
The lady across the road has had a couple that she retrained for barrels & she loved them. There was also a gelding i was looking into years ago that had been raced, then used for some jumping before being lightly trained for barrels. He was 16.3 hh & got 18 seconds on his very first time doing the pattern ;)
I know a smaller, shorterbacked QH is more popular because they tend to turn quicker, but big TB's make up for it with their speed & long strides!

barrelracer7335 09-12-2010 12:39 AM

I agree with you about the speed and turns.
Posted via Mobile Device

countmystrides 09-12-2010 01:11 AM

i think it's so funny how good TB's are at barrels. they're generally such big horses, most barrel racers are smaller. but i can see them being pretty good with their long legs & OTTB's already have the balance, changes and speed. so i say go for it.

barrelracer7335 09-12-2010 08:24 PM

Yeah most of my OTTBs are more balanced then my trained QHs and Appendixs
Posted via Mobile Device

MeganAndPastick 09-13-2010 06:21 PM

I see nothing wrong. But if the TBs are big like 16hh i wouldnt advise To do barrels with them. It Not safe At all.

barrelracer7335 09-14-2010 12:33 AM

why exactly isn't it safe?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintedFury 09-14-2010 01:17 AM

It's safe to run barrels on a horse that is over 16hh! All of my barrel horses have been over 16hh, and made good times, 16 seconds on a big pattern. My current mare that I'm training is 16.3 hh, and turns like a demon. If you teach a big horse flexibility, they can make good time going around the barrels too! I used to have a gelding that was 16.2hh and 8' long from nose to tail, and he could rim a barrel all the way around without knocking it over! Big horses can and do compete well in barrel racing!

Carolinagirl741 09-16-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeganAndPastick (Post 747931)
I see nothing wrong. But if the TBs are big like 16hh i wouldnt advise To do barrels with them. It Not safe At all.

Why isn't it safe? I have a 16.2 hand racing bred quarter horse (not appendix) and he can really work a barrel pattern.

kaydeebug 09-26-2010 07:04 PM

actually infact thats exactly what i ride if you look at my picture that is my tb. and i race her as well. she is flippin fast. i am thinkin about breeding her and putting her colt in racing then moving him straight to barrels. but my horse is my pole horse we both love those better then barrels but she can still do barrels