The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Length of Stirrups? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/length-stirrups-64609/)

PonyMad 09-12-2010 02:29 PM

Length of Stirrups?

When ever I have rode, I always have the same stirrup leathers so I dont have to change them.
But how do you actually measure your stirups?
Is it what feels comfy?
Or is it how much your leg is bent?
Im confused.

Amba1027 09-12-2010 02:44 PM

I go by what feels comfortable once I'm up there. Some people will use their arm to measure. You hold your arm out straight and put your fingertips at the buckle. The bottom of the iron should be at your arm pit. This measurement doesn't usually work for me, but I suspect that has something to do with my abnormally long legs.

PonyMad 09-12-2010 03:08 PM

Ok,
I dont get the arm thing lol. But I just go for whats comfy.
My friends have them really short like there leg is bent to 90 degrees :/ so that made me think if I've got them wrong :/
But I think they have them that short because they think its cool?!

EmilyandNikki 09-12-2010 03:19 PM

I go by whats comfy. When I do the arm thing, my stirrups are dressage length, and I need them shorter, so I guess and then fix when I'm in the saddle.

Amba1027 09-12-2010 03:19 PM

It think the arm thing is because of the relation between your arm and leg length. I couldn't tell you for sure though. I just know thats what people do.

I do know some people like to go for the jockey look with the super short stirrups. I don't know why people would want to try and ride like that. You're not wrong to not have them that short.

juniormylove 09-12-2010 03:30 PM

I always adjusted them so the iron hit my ankle bone :)

Of course, that changes depending on who I ride. If I'm on a really big horse, then a lot of times I'll drop them one hole. On ponies, I sometimes raise them a hole [i'm 5'8" so I gotta raise it to keep my leg on!] I ride with relatively short stirrups to begin with though, so I don't like to raise them at all.

Valentina 09-13-2010 05:54 PM

Depends on what discipline you are riding:
1.) Jumping is shorter stirrups - higher jumps are shorter stirrup leathers
2.) Flat work is longer stirrups
3.) Dressage/Western is typically longest length leathers.

Digby 09-14-2010 10:35 PM

I was always taught:
for jumping: measure iron to your ankle bone or just above (above works better for me)
flatwork: lower jumping stirrups 1 to 2 holes
dressage: iron should come to just above the heel

:)

VelvetsAB 09-15-2010 12:50 PM

I use the arm technique then ride around the ring once and change them up or down as needed. It is normally within a hole or two though.

Kayty 09-16-2010 09:00 AM

The arm technique unfortunately will rarely give you a perfect length stirrup. It depends on your body shape, some people are lucky and their arms will perfectly match their legs, but this is not the case for most people. Hell, if Manolo Mendez (google him) worked his stirrups by running them down his arms, I don't think he'd even be able to reach the stirrups haha, his arms are THAT long! Others have very short arms, and the stirrups will be far too short. You can use it for a VERY approximate measure, but as I said, unless youre the minority, you won't wind up with correct length stirrups