The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ugh.. Saftey? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ugh-saftey-64625/)

vivache 09-12-2010 07:38 PM

Ugh.. Saftey?

I was at a show. This group of riders from my old barn ran(mounted) between the trailer that we had our horses in, and my coach's grandma's truck. We confronted them, because we felt that them trotting and cantering right by our trailer is dangerous. They told us that they do it all the time, no one cares, and that we should mind our own business.

Keep in mind, they're 13.

IS it dangerous, or just rude to run between trailers, horses out or not?

mbender 09-12-2010 08:28 PM

I would say that is pretty rude. If their horses got hurt, then oh well! I think u had a right to confront them if they were doing it near your trailer. They need to go bAck to their trailer and do it! Some people are just jerks.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-12-2010 08:33 PM

that is very dangerous. Your horses could spook and injure themselves or the riders could run into someone they can't see walking by the trailer. Also their horses could spook or throw a fit and they could get hurt. Not to mention it is extremly rude and you deffinately had the right to confront them about it. if it is an issue talk to someone that runs the show and have them make an announcement or go talk to the riders.

vivache 09-12-2010 08:36 PM

They're pretty petty with the whole 'haha, you're a bad rider because you ride gaited horses.' So I know that they did it to bother me. They also stuck their tongues out at me when I clapped for them after they didn't place in a western pleasure class and told people that I looked fat in my day coat. Their sportsmanship is deplorable. Granted, I was the one walking away with a 2nd place ribbon on my belt loop.

If they do it at the fun show(I am taking a young horse that needs to get out), I will confront their trainer and have my trainer talk to the announcer.

The thing that got me mad was that they KNEW we had a hot 4 year old in the trailer. He had gotten his legs caught in the manger of the trailer because my trainer's little sister and I were walking our mares over, and he got excited.

BarrelracingArabian 09-12-2010 08:39 PM

Then that needs to be handled immediately at your next show or even before call up your trainer or call the announcer yourself and have them jot down a note to make an announcement through out the day reminding people not to trot/canter around trailers or outside of the warm-up/actual arena. Also talk to their trainer right away do not risk having your horses injured.

vivache 09-12-2010 08:43 PM

The only thing I'm concerned with is that their trainer was my old trainer. I don't want to make it seem like I'm being a tattletale, which is how they will take it regardless of how I word it, and they won't heed the warning. They tell me to mind my own business.

I am pretty sure that it's my business if the horse I am showing is injured in a trailer accident. :\

They tried to 'ambush' me on facebook-- how immature is that?!

BarrelracingArabian 09-12-2010 08:50 PM

honestly i would not care if they think i am a tattletale for trying to keep my equine safe. They are being unsafe and could potential cause an accident i will voice my opinion and take all precations possible to make sure that it doesn't happen. If you have to take some caution tape and put it up where your horses are going to be(if allowed or possible) They are being immature but you still need to think about whats best for your horses not what they will think of you

vivache 09-12-2010 09:00 PM

I'll definitely tell a show manager if it happens again-- which I think they'll do it JUST to spite me. Luckily, my coach's mom is well known in the local 4H system and knows who to talk to.

I'd stop going to these little shows if they weren't great for practice for bigger shows. :\

I don't even know why they have such a huge problem with me. Are gaited horses the devil or something? XDD

BarrelracingArabian 09-12-2010 09:04 PM

Yeah i understand that we go to gymkhana's and have had to tell people to slow down but that is also a rule at our shows you are not aloud to trot/canter/gallop outside of the warm up arena or the actual class. And generally they prefer you to just walk unless you are late for your turn.
Haha deffiantely not! my friend had a big gaited paint who i loooved but she sold him to a lady as a trail horse because he prefered slow stuff haha

franknbeans 09-12-2010 09:12 PM

I am really sorry. I have to say, that I live in Northern Va, and find that if you are not on your traditional hunter/jumper type horse, they are not very accepting. I am an adult, used to be in the H/j world, and frankly, am glad to leave it. Too many spoiled brats (adults and kids) for my taste.
First tho, you should not have stuck out your tongue. That really just baited them and gave them an "excuse" ( in their very small brains) to act up.
I am pretty sure there is some jealousy there also.
However, I would recommend that an adult (mom, gram, 4-h leader) talk to the people in charge of the shows. This behavior is very dangerous for everyone there, as well as the animals. Sorry to say, but I think that if an adult talks to another adult you may get better results.
I do like the caution tape idea too-that one is pretty good, or just the survey tape I think they call it at Lowes or Homedepot-orange or pink-will do the same thing. We use it to mark trails.
I sure hope that there are nice sensible kids like you at the barn in Purcellville I am bringing my horse home to this winter.....they also have gaiteds, and they are not that common in those parts......
In the meantime-go and have fun at the fun show-that is what they are for, and don;t let these girls get to you.