The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Saddleseat vs Hunter (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/saddleseat-vs-hunter-64653/)

Draftgirl17 09-13-2010 12:42 AM

Saddleseat vs Hunter

Okay so i get the general gist of the difference however I was wondering, do you post "higher" in saddleseat than in hunt? I am a big fan of saddleseat (my friend rides saddleseat on a percheron and it looks absolutely amazing) but i have not seen too many people ride saddleseat in my area (espeically in the draft arena) and I was just curious :D

corinowalk 09-13-2010 01:37 AM

The main difference in posting is a hunt seat rider will post for an extended, outgoing trot. A saddleseat rider is riding for action. So a hunt seat rider posts up and forwards and a saddleseat rider posts mostly up. Its just to encourage action at the knee. I love saddleseat...I wish more people rode it!

Draftgirl17 09-13-2010 07:15 PM

Very much agreed. However i also want to know why there is a use of two reins?

tempest 09-13-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftgirl17 (Post 747979)
Very much agreed. However i also want to know why there is a use of two reins?

You know, that's a good question. I've never thought to ask that before, I just went with it. Maybe because it's supposed to make it look classier. But I'll tell you one thing, I like riding with two reins saddle seat more than I do in hunt.

corinowalk 09-13-2010 08:14 PM

Two reins in saddleseat is for a more refined look. Its been over a decade since I've ridden saddleseat competitivly but I believe that the curb rein is for headset and the snaffle is for direction. I loved riding a good double bridle horse and even taught my QH to carry one. I love the tradition and class of saddleseat. The attire beats out western pleasure, dressage and any other discipline by far. Class with attitude. I still have my silks and always did love getting dressed for a class!

Draftgirl17 09-13-2010 09:20 PM

I love the way that saddleseat looks. the overall look is just amazing. Espeically to see it on a draft! but i've been watching youtube videos of other shows and it just looks fantastic. My question is if I were to ride my haflinger mare saddleseat, do i need a double bit? or can it just be like a snaffle like bit that allows for two riens (i realize this probably a really weird way of explaining it but i have no clue what the type of bit i have is called) she is very softed mouthed and hates a whole lot of pressure. I'm not sure any of that made sense lol : P

Draftgirl17 09-13-2010 09:30 PM

I just looked it up and its called a pelham bit. And you are right corinowalk it is to adjust the horse's head position more : ]

tempest 09-14-2010 06:29 PM

I must of been really out of it when I made that post, I already knew that! I thought you meant something different, wow....

SaddleDragon 09-20-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftgirl17 (Post 748062)
I love the way that saddleseat looks. the overall look is just amazing. Espeically to see it on a draft! but i've been watching youtube videos of other shows and it just looks fantastic. My question is if I were to ride my haflinger mare saddleseat, do i need a double bit? or can it just be like a snaffle like bit that allows for two riens (i realize this probably a really weird way of explaining it but i have no clue what the type of bit i have is called) she is very softed mouthed and hates a whole lot of pressure. I'm not sure any of that made sense lol : P

It depends on the shows regulations. In the saddlebreds the double bridle is required. For open shows, it usually is acceptable to use a pelham bit.
The snaffle helps raise the head, and the curb helps 'tip' the nose down.
I hope that helps.