The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Trailering Without The Middle Bar? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/trailering-without-middle-bar-64664/)

ChingazMyBoy 09-13-2010 02:34 AM

Trailering Without The Middle Bar?

I've seen this a few times resently and in no way is this a personal attack on anyone but I just can't see how this is safe? I ALWAYS float with a fully padded, fully barred float. I could just see my horse falling sideways and the results being horrible because there is no bar there. Thoughts?

To those who do it, this isn't an attack towards you - but I can just see the safty risks being point blank there in front of you.. I can also see it being VERY messy if there was no bar: eg - the horse falling over (Yes this can happen with a bar too and the horses could also go UNDER the bar).

AztecBaby 09-13-2010 02:48 AM

We never float with the bar unless we are taking two horses, the sides of the float and the chest bars are padded, we have found that the horses prefer to stand on an angle without the bar and they are all well travelled.

maura 09-13-2010 07:02 AM

Yes, what Aztec said.

Trailering without the bar is in no way unsafe and when hauling a single horse, is preferable because it allows the horse to stand on a slant and spread their legs. The only reason to trailer with one is when hauling two horses to prevent one from leaning on the other.

ChingazMyBoy 09-13-2010 07:08 AM

From what I have heard speaking to transport companies, ect it is actually illegal. Thankyou for the knowledge.
Posted via Mobile Device

horseluver250 09-13-2010 08:43 AM

Stock trailers do not have any dividers in them, I see plenty of people hauling their horses in them.

ETA: just wanted to add, just because the trailer has a divider does not mean the horse can't fall. I've seen a horse fall in one before with another pony riding in it with him. Luckily the horse was okay, exhausted, but okay.

Cowgirl140ty 09-13-2010 08:49 AM

I never haul with the middle bar in my trailer. Even when hauling 2 horses. And I have yet to have a problem. The biggest reason I dont haul with the middle divider is that my gelding has vision issues and wont back out. And when hauling by myself... it is a pain to take it out and put it back.