The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Gaited horse trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-horse-trainers-64708/)

churumbeque 09-13-2010 09:48 PM

Gaited horse trainers

I was wondering what others do for gaited trainers. There are not many in the Midwest and I took my horse to a well known trainer in Mn, Liz Graves and she had the horse for 4 months and when I went to pick it up she wouldn't ride it. I can't imagine that being normal but was wondering others experience? I just got back from another training stable and they would do ground work and get on the horse and ride in 1 day.

MudPaint 09-13-2010 09:58 PM

All training facilities are different (gaited and non gaited). What did you send your horse away for?

I unfortunately have not had great experiences with the only walker trainer in our area. We traded services, I taught her daughter hunt seat and she taught me saddle seat. I'm fairly certain I was the only one riding the horses.

However, I know the Paso farm does a ton of natural horsemanship and their show horses come out totally ride-able by anyone, and they are very proud of their work.

churumbeque 09-13-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 748092)
All training facilities are different (gaited and non gaited). What did you send your horse away for?

I sent him away because at the time I was working 7 days a week and didn't have time to work with him. It was for general training and was expecting to get a rideable horse back especially after 4 months and from someone who is supposadle reputable with gaited horses.

MudPaint 09-13-2010 10:45 PM

If you're not going for show, you can easily send a gaited horse to an all around trainer. Just to put miles on the horse and make them a quiet ride, anyone with knowledge and a following seat can do that.

Guilherme 09-13-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 748140)
If you're not going for show, you can easily send a gaited horse to an all around trainer. Just to put miles on the horse and make them a quiet ride, anyone with knowledge and a following seat can do that.

Concur. When getting a horse under saddle "a horse is a horse is a horse."

When dealing with any it's imperative that your agreement set out what the trainer is going to do with the horse. A clear goal, or set of goals, puts both parties "on the same page" and prevents misunderstandings.

G.

churumbeque 09-14-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 748140)

I don't agree with that.
If a person is not familiar with the gait and they trot instead it will develop different muscles and then they do not gait well.
Regrdless if they are a gaited trainer or not I was expecting the trainer to be riding after 4 months. 2600.00 for training and the trainer wouldn't ride the horse is rediculous in my world.

corinowalk 09-14-2010 10:47 AM

Oh that is more than rediculous...thats insane. Did she have any reason for not riding? I can't possibly imagine why she wouldn't be riding after 4 months.

When I rode for a gaited farm in CA, they had their horses under saddle in less than 3 days. For me, its hard to establish good gaits from the ground. I'd much rather ride than ground work a gaited horse.

I just can't believe that she took your money! Sheesh! Did she train him for anything?

churumbeque 09-14-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 748474)
Oh that is more than rediculous...thats insane. Did she have any reason for not riding? I can't possibly imagine why she wouldn't be riding after 4 months.

When I rode for a gaited farm in CA, they had their horses under saddle in less than 3 days. For me, its hard to establish good gaits from the ground. I'd much rather ride than ground work a gaited horse.

I just can't believe that she took your money! Sheesh! Did she train him for anything?

She didn't train him, for anything because she didn't ride him but I wanted a trail horse. I have emailed her about a partial refund and she isn't responding.

Jacksmama 09-14-2010 10:57 PM

Oh wow, and you're right Liz Graves is pretty well known. That's surprising, and disappointing! I actually board with a gaited horse trainer here in Indiana. I am sorry that was your experience but that's not the norm.

I have to disagree with MudPaint, I think it is important for you to take him to a trainer that has at least a little experience with gaited horses.

corinowalk 09-14-2010 11:15 PM

Thats very disapointing. I know an awesome stable in California but its just too far.