The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Understanding Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/understanding-natural-horsemanship-64750/)

farmpony84 09-14-2010 02:40 PM

Understanding Natural Horsemanship
 
According to Wikipedia, Natural horsemanship is the philosophy of working with horses by appealing to their instincts and herd mentality. It involves communication techniques derived from wild horse observation in order to build a partnership that closely resembles the relationships that exist between horses.

What is it to you? Do you associate it with a specific name or a technique? Do you feel it is just a marketing scheme? Also, do you feel that Natural Horsemanship is something that can be used as a sole training method? Why or why not?

(Threads that explain why you do not agree with or even like a specific trainer are ok, an explanation as to why you dislike the trainer is prefered. Threads defending a trainer are also encouraged, however explanations are important).

To me,

Natural horsemanship is not a specific training method. To me it is a state of mind that is used by all horseman to some extent. I think that the use of the method depends on the horse and it's acceptance levels. I don't believe it is something that can be used as a sole source training method. I feel that there are times when traditional methods can not be beat and I also feel that on occassion, a certain level of aggressiveness from the handler is a must.

nrhareiner 09-14-2010 03:05 PM

I agree NH is a way of thinking and under standing not a training method as one would think of a training method or program. It is a way of putting a name to an way of understanding horses or dog or really anything we train.

kitten_Val 09-14-2010 03:22 PM

Personally, I don't like term "Natural". There is nothing natural in working with the horse or caring for the horse. You just deal with the horse to your best, based on experience, common sense, and understanding of the horse's behavior/reaction. Those great trainers have lots of experience and I'm sure better understanding than me, that's what makes them trainers. But still even really good ones rely on common sense.

corinowalk 09-14-2010 03:26 PM

I think of NH as being flexible. It should never be one way or the other. I've never found anything with horses to be black and white. Training shouldn't be black and white either.

Natural Horsemanship to me is working with what God gave us. It also means catering your program around certain personalities and quirks. I feel that some people think that NH is a more 'gentle' way of training. I disagree. I don't find it more or less harsh than more traditional training. We are all asking our horses to do something completly unnatural to them. We will all be met with resistance. Some horses respond to a strong, firm hand. Others need to be sweet talked into it. Others need to be tricked into thinking it was their idea in the first place.

I disagree with any 'training method' that gives false hope. A green riders first look to training should be to a local, in real life professional. Not a DVD. People get hurt when they have not only false hope, but false confidence. I wont name trainers off because I have issues with almost every DVD trainer out there. To me, they are getting further from the point than closer. Instead of catering a program around a horse, they are training a horse around a program. While some have given horses a mold to fit into, I chose to think that every horse is different. I've never ridden two exactly the same. I've certainly never trained two the same way.

I love the concept of NH as taught by the founders of the movement. Each horse is valued as an individual and trained according to his personality. I think the 'new age' NH has some valid things to offer. I just find it hard to wade through all the marketing to get to what is important to me. Horses.

Alwaysbehind 09-14-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 748857)
Personally, I don't like term "Natural". There is nothing natural in working with the horse or caring for the horse. You just deal with the horse to your best, based on experience, common sense, and understanding of the horse's behavior/reaction. <snip> But still even really good ones rely on common sense.

Yes! What Kitten_Val said.

nrhareiner 09-14-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 748862)
I disagree with any 'training method' that gives false hope. A green riders first look to training should be to a local, in real life professional. Not a DVD. People get hurt when they have not only false hope, but false confidence. I wont name trainers off because I have issues with almost every DVD trainer out there. To me, they are getting further from the point than closer. Instead of catering a program around a horse, they are training a horse around a program. While some have given horses a mold to fit into, I chose to think that every horse is different. I've never ridden two exactly the same. I've certainly never trained two the same way.

I agree 100% with you about people need to find a good trainer vs. a DVD. Now I do have some DVDs however I do not use them to learn to train I use them to get info from trainers with in my Discipline who have proven that what they do works. It just gives you more things to work with and anouther thought process that you might not have access to other wise.

corinowalk 09-14-2010 03:44 PM

As educational material, I think they are pretty informative! Its the ads that kill me! Promising to solve all your horses problems if you just buy the DVD. To a fresh young rider, how could you turn it down! We are a DIY culture. We all want to be able to do the right thing for our horses. The way things are marketed...its as if they are saying "buy this DVD, watch it, and you will be a horse trainer". While experienced horsemen know better, a young or new rider wouldn't.

Alwaysbehind 09-14-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 748889)
The way things are marketed...its as if they are saying "buy this DVD, watch it, and you will be a horse trainer". While experienced horsemen know better, a young or new rider wouldn't.

Do not forget to add in a little bit of, "these training methods are all you will ever need, they are a one size fits all solution to every little thing that might ever happen with your horse".

kitten_Val 09-14-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 748912)
Do not forget to add in a little bit of, "these training methods are all you will ever need, they are a one size fits all solution to every little thing that might ever happen with your horse".

:lol:

Unfortunately I've heard that from some trainers in person as well as on DVDs. I'd say it's sad, because number of people believe in it and making things worse sometime.

Alwaysbehind 09-14-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 748932)
:lol:

Unfortunately I've heard that from some trainers in person as well as on DVDs. I'd say it's sad, because number of people believe in it and making things worse sometime.

Sigh, how sad.

I will not use a dog trainer that says one program (all positive, all corrections, etc) works for all dogs either. Too many variables. No one size fits all.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0