The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Bot fly eggs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bot-fly-eggs-64775/)

paintluver 09-14-2010 06:21 PM

Bot fly eggs

I was looking at my mare yesterday and I noticed she has Bot fly eggs on her leg/shoulder area.
What are they (Dangerous?) and how do I get rid of them?

vivache 09-14-2010 06:27 PM

They're a worm source if she ingests them.

Slick N' Easy, bot knife.. those are good grooming tools to get them off.

Alicia 09-14-2010 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=vivache;749103]They're a worm source if she ingests them.QUOTE]

I believe their bot fly eggs and when she scratches or licks the area she can ingest them and get worms.

You can get rid of them by picking them off, using the knife vivanche suggested, and you can use warm water and a rag (soaking the eggs off).

I actually bought a knife today (there was no brand on the knife)and it worked wonderfully. I've been picking them off but that takes forever, and the warm rag took longer. But whatever works for you.

vivache 09-14-2010 08:16 PM

One of those razors they use for horses that don't clip will work, too. Less chance of slipping and nicking their leg.

smrobs 09-14-2010 08:31 PM

I have always just used my pocket knife. Though there is a real risk of cutting something if the horse moves wrong. I would suggest buying a bot knife, that is easiest and safest.

WickedNag 09-14-2010 08:45 PM

Vet told me to use ivermec for bot eggs...

tealamutt 09-14-2010 08:48 PM

ivermectin is for killing the worms once the eggs are ingested and mature. It is best to scrape the eggs off and always make sure to deworm with an ivermectin product in the fall. See the AAEP guidelines for more information on deworming.

WickedNag 09-14-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tealamutt (Post 749241)
ivermectin is for killing the worms once the eggs are ingested and mature. It is best to scrape the eggs off and always make sure to deworm with an ivermectin product in the fall. See the AAEP guidelines for more information on deworming.

Just telling you what my vet told me.

WickedNag 09-14-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 749276)
Just telling you what my vet told me.

just got off the phone with Bill..my vet and old classmate. You are right. Ivermec will kill the bots not the eggs. Told me to use it after the first frost :-) Thanks for the info! I better listen closer to Bill next time he tells me something.

tealamutt 09-15-2010 12:16 AM

lol, no problem. I'm a veterinary student and I just had an exam on that stuff so it was fresh in my head!!