The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   sale of a horse trailer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/sale-horse-trailer-64814/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-14-2010 11:37 PM

sale of a horse trailer

ok first off the me state that i'm a stupid idoit and i should of saw this comming, i sold my really crappy 2 horse trailer to the people across the street. with the promis that they would make payments and would have it paid off shortly. that was july, they have only have paid $220 on a $550 bill in the last 3 months. there is back taxes owed on the trailer that i didn't even know about when i bought the trailer and that i would pay it after the paid off the trailer.
i really don't want the trailer back but i'm really tired of only getting small amounts of cash at a time, there are 3 things that i can think of doing.

1) refuse to pay back taxes on it if payments go past next month.

2)take the trailer back (they have it) untill payments are made in full.

3) or all of the above.

she already owes me a lot money for another bussiness deal but will begiving her notice that services will stop untill payment is paid in full.

ladybugsgirl 09-15-2010 12:07 AM

Take the trailer and make her pay in full. Did you have a bill of sale or a written agreement etc.

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-15-2010 12:09 AM

no that's the other stupid thing i didn't do...but i do have title and proof it was in my yard for sale ... like i said i'm a idoit, but she was so pushy

kitten_Val 09-15-2010 07:01 AM

I'd take the trailer and advertise it again.

Alwaysbehind 09-15-2010 08:19 AM

So, this is a person who already owed you money and was not paying you and you sold them something with our a written contract?

mls 09-15-2010 09:52 AM

Isn't this the same issue:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/...trailer-63005/

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-15-2010 10:29 AM

yes it is. i had forgot that i had writen that one. and no always we did not have a contract and did not know of there financle problems, only found that out after my husbands coworker booked her in for passing "bad checks". and no she did not owe me any money before this, i know this is stupid and just want it over with.
my husband is off tonight so hopefuly we can put a contract together for remaining payments, get them to sign it and it notarized.

Speed Racer 09-15-2010 10:33 AM

Kansas, I'm a notary. In order for all the signatures to be notarized, everyone has to be in front of the notary at the time the contract is signed.

A notary cannot notarize signatures for which he/she wasn't present at the time they were put on paper. Just something of which you need to be aware.

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-15-2010 10:43 AM

Thanks speed racer, yep i knew that.....my husband is in law enforcement (ok i keep sounding dumber every time i post about this trailer) 4 out 6 of our dispatchers are notaries and can have one come out to the farm at any time. but it's great info for any who didn't know that.

Speed Racer 09-15-2010 10:47 AM

Okay, just wanted to make sure you knew that. :wink:

You'd be surprised how many people don't, and then get angry at me when I won't notarize someone else's signature. Not my problem, dude. Ain't notarizing a signature for someone I didn't see sign the paper.

Yep, getting the signatures notarized is good in case you need to go to court or get the law involved. That way, they can't say the signatures aren't theirs.