The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   One Rein Stop?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/one-rein-stop-64856/)

SarahRicoh 09-15-2010 01:32 PM

One Rein Stop?!

Very random and basic question but it is used on several threads and I have no idea what people are on about...

What is a one rein stop? How do you do it? Whats its use?

I wondered if we used it in UK but just under another name or if we do it differently.

Thanks in advance:D

Feets 09-15-2010 03:38 PM

One rein stop is basically where your horse goes out of control (bucking, rearing, bolting, etc) and you pull one rein to your side to disengage the horse's movement. It's a logical fix, but I don't particularly like it. I only use it when a horse rears on me (to keep it from going to high). My question for trainers that use it is this: when the horse stops bucking, then what? My tactic is to keep the horse moving forward once it's started to buck. This will give it something to do, and something ELSE to focus all that energy on. Although one rein stops are good emergency breaks, they are not useful for training... in my opinion

corinowalk 09-15-2010 03:54 PM

Once the horse stops bucking, you collect yourself and then move forward. If he starts bucking again, you one rein again. Repeat until he learns that bucking only gets his nose smashed against your leg.

I like the 'pulley rein' that someone on here explained to me. Stopped my friends 2600# Percheron in full flight in her tracks.

Its basically a one rein stop with pulls from the opposite side. Heres how I did it.

Horse bolts. One rein stopping on a full out running horse can be pretty dangerous. They aren't much concerned with your safety at that point and can fall if you pull to hard. So when said horse bolts, tighten your right rein enough to pull the horses face around. Place that hand and the rein on the neck. With the opposite hand, pop-pop-pop with the other rein.

Sounds difficult, its not. It sure did stop Rosie in less that 10 strides.

Scoutrider 09-15-2010 04:02 PM

I teach my horses one rein stops as an emergency brake.

The ORS is safest and most useful if you teach the horse how to respond to the cue (Sit deep, run one hand halfway down length of one rein, and smoothly pull that grip to your hip-bone). If the horse is flat out booking, he won't stop on a dime - a spiral-down is the better and safer bet (a hard ORS at speed has the potential to flip the horse), but the ORS at lower gaits will prepare him to respond to that as well.

I teach lateral flexion at a standstill, getting the horse softly yielding to the bit side to side off of one rein at a time. If he walks away while I'm asking, I just keep him bent and wait his feet out - he gets his head back when his feet are planted. At the walk, I'll say "Whoooo" in a low pitch, sit deep (normal seat aids for a downward transition) and flex his head, holding until his feet stop and he puts a little slack in the rein, then flex the other direction for balance's sake. Once he has that down to a science I'll do the same at a jog to working trot speed.

By the time we get to a canter, the horse generally has a clue that my seat aids are meaning stop and does so (or at least drops to trot) without a flex. If he doesn't, I'll pick up the one rein and spiral him to a working trot and stop him from there.

Most horses pick up the idea pretty easily and quickly. Once he understands I drop it and move on, maybe testing the brakes a couple of times a year to make sure that he doesn't need a tune-up.

ORS is just a tool, not a cure-all as some clinicians try to bill it.

@Feets: I'm no trainer except in the sense that I train my own horses for my personal use, and I've never had to deal with a hardcore bucker, but my tactic to fix it if I encountered it would be the same as yours - move those feet in a controlled way, on my terms. I would use the ORS to regain control, and then start riding forward and purposefully through some fairly demanding figure - small figure 8's, serpentines, etc. - to get the horse thinking and responding again. In such a situation I might not even worry about getting the feet totally stopped, just get a flex and get the horse's attention, and down to working trot, then release the rein and drive forward.

SarahRicoh 09-15-2010 04:16 PM

Thanks guys!! I dont think i'd think about it in time to make much difference if my horse bolted etc as iv never done it but I suppose if its incorporated into training as some of you do it could be useful :)

Arksly 09-15-2010 04:17 PM

The One rein stop can also be called a double-up circle, that is the term I learned anyway.

SarahRicoh 09-15-2010 04:35 PM

Oo thanks.. Still havent heard of it! Maybe im dumb. =/
Would people suggest it being taught to a greenie or if iv never used it and dont intend to is that fine?

upnover 09-15-2010 09:21 PM

I think the one rein stop can be a fabulous training aid. I teach every horse I get on how to do it. It's nice to be able to have an emergency brake! But there are a lot of other things you can do with it. 1) When I'm teaching the one rein stop (from a walk) I hold them in that position until they stop and THEN give to the pressure. They have to actually turn their nose in even more to release the pressure before I let go. Sometimes this takes a while for some horses. :) But giving to pressure is very important for horses to learn. And it's a great foundation to lay before you teach your horse how to soften and eventually go on the bit. 2) After they learn how to stop and give to the pressure you can also incorporate your inside leg. Put them in a one rein stop, bring your inside leg back and apply pressure, when they step over with their inside leg you let go. It's natural for them to want to swing their haunch over to straighten out so it makes teaching the turn on the forehand very simple.

I could go on and on. but those are the 2 biggest things i do with it.

MyBoyPuck 09-15-2010 09:24 PM

No secret that I love the one rein stop. My horse is so tuned into it, he barely bends his neck before coming to a stop. As soon as he feels me drop one rein and start to bring up the other, he's done moving.

Feets 09-16-2010 12:26 AM

I feel that some people abuse the ORS though - I.E., yanking their head around aggressively and giving them a hard heel in the side to turn them ... I've seen that so much, I hate it. Also, horses that really don't want to stop will keep running forward, even with their nose pinned to their side! I saw someone plow into an arena fence like that. A 'fun show' barrel racer couldn't get her horse turned around the second barrel, and the horse just ran blindly into the fence at a hand gallop.

FLEXION however is a great thing to have. If you don't practice flexion with your horse, the ORS may strain them a bit too much if done too quickly ...