The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Gravel Dust stall footing..How to Harden?? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/gravel-dust-stall-footing-how-harden-64886/)

EquestEquine 09-15-2010 06:35 PM

Gravel Dust stall footing..How to Harden??

Hi Everyone,

Well unfortunately my barn flooring is gravel dust. It's a pole barn that was just built on gravel dust :( ..... The gravel dust makes for very dusty, muddy, and hard to clean stalls!!!

I was wondering if anyone knew of something that I could add to the gravel dust that would harden or solidify it. I just want to do this in the stalls.

Thanks,

EquestEquine

corinowalk 09-15-2010 07:09 PM

get stall mats and lay them over the gravel dust. Its cushion for the horse and makes stalls easier to clean.

EquestEquine 09-16-2010 05:25 PM

Thanks for the reply! The only problem is cost :(

I LOVE stall mats, better for the horse and way eaiser but unfortunatley they are too expensive for me now. I'm planning on saving up for them in a few months. I guess I'm looking for something in the meantime...

starlinestables 09-18-2010 04:39 PM

Add more gravel dust, spray with water then rent a vibrating packing machine type thing and pack it.. It's like concrete but doesn't last very long.

If I were you, I would just pour concrete. Concrete is expensive but believe it or not matts are more expensive. I spent $2100 dollars in stall mats when it would've cost me the same or slightly less in concrete. We put gravel and stone dust down and packed it just like i told you to do and 2 1/2 years later I'm going to have to completely rip all the mats out and relay them because the urine eats away and the edges in the rubber and then horses pawing them up.. I'm going to have to replace 2 mats because they've torn ($80) I wish I would've done concrete to begin with and just use more shavings for padding and urine absorption. You would probably go through slightly more shavings but to me it would be worth it never having to work around stupid stall matts.

maura 09-18-2010 07:03 PM

Equest,

I completely agree with the first part of Starline's advice.

I agree with the second part only if you're running a large, commercial boarding establishment.

If you can allow for a couple of weeks of good weather to leave the barn open, and can truly saturate the gravel dust and allow it to sit, it will harden up nicely, even without the commerical tamper. If you only have a few days, go with the commercial tamper. Stone dust packed down correctly will last for 1 - 2 years with adequate bedding and good, thorough, daily stall mucking for horses that are in 12 - 14 hours.

Correctly packed stone dust with mats over it will last for longer. If you have horses up for more than 10 - 12 hours per day, you will run into all the problems that Starline describes, and will periodically have to undergo the disgusting task of lifting the mates, shoveling out the urine saturated stone dust and starting over.

starlinestables 09-18-2010 11:38 PM

Tamper.. That was the word I was looking for!!

I wanted to add that my barn flooded twice over the last two years and that also did some major damage to the stone dust base, especially since the horses were in. Stall matts are such a huge pain... It will cost me at least $600 for labor to have them pulled out and re-done.

corinowalk 09-18-2010 11:47 PM

For the price you would pay to rent a big mechanical tamper...you can get a good old fashioned hand held one! Like this!Shop True Temper 8" x 8" Tamper at Lowes.com

That way, when things start coming a bit loose, just tamp it down. Next year, get another load of crush and tamp it down again. Cheaper and just as easy. The machine will vibrate your brains! LOL

ruger 09-19-2010 01:40 AM

presume you are talking about lime? horses should pack it down like concrete quickly if kept damp. works good in dog kennels also. only downside of using it in a pole barn it will rot the post.

maura 09-19-2010 02:43 AM

No, we're not talking about lime.

starlinestables 09-19-2010 01:35 PM

There is a difference between crushed limesone, blue stone ect... this is similar but this is just gravel dust with a few pieces of gravel left in it.