The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Selling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/selling-64923/)

Bek 09-16-2010 07:40 AM

Selling

So typical! I just put my horse up for sale (:cry:) and not only has he broken out in a terrible rainscald so that he looks like a Devon Rex, but now he has an abscess. Very frustrating, but I guess it gives me a few months more with him.
I was wondering, when you are looking to buy a horse, are there some little things that just seem to add to the horse? Like do you find being easy to catch a really big plus, that sort of thing.
And what kind of things do you see that instantly put you off a horse?
Thanks

WickedNag 09-16-2010 08:50 AM

I walk away from a horse that lacks farrier work. I can tell the difference in a horse that is done regularly and the farrier is due to come and one that has been neglected. I drove 4 hours one way to meet a person that was going to sell me a horse. They met me 4 hours also. When we arrived the horse was standing in the trailer full of shavings. When they pulled him off I told them to put him right back on... The owner was ticked and told me he just drove 4 hours to meet me. Told him I just drove 4 hours too and if they had sent current feet pictures instead of old ones, I would never have wasted my time.

I don't care if the horse looks like he just came out of the pasture, I can look past that but I want the general look of the horse to appear as if someone gave a crap about him before putting him up for sale :)

Saskia 09-17-2010 03:46 AM

I think that a horse that looks well looked after will always go for more than a horse who hasn't really - even if its a better horse.

Keep the horse lightly rugged so it doesn't get dirty, if its really furry think about clipping it. As the previous poster said feet can go a long way. Hoof problems can cause a world of bother, keep him up to date. Keeping things like farrier, dental or vet receipts can go a long way as well. Turning up with all these in a folder, as well as maybe competition results, will make you seem genuine (at least it would help to me).

Good ground manners are essential. People are often willing to buy a horse who needs a bit of work under saddle, or they'll understand him misbehaving with a new rider, but a horse should always have impeccable ground manners. He should stand when being saddled, walk with his head by your shoulder, and not pull to eat grass, and not pull back when tied.

I would not buy a horse that is hard to catch. I had one once, and the frustration it caused me...I also wouldn't buy a windsucker/crib biter.

I am much more willing to work with problems under saddle than problems on the ground. Keep him looking and behaving at his best. If he is a pleasure to be around people will like him.

SidMit 09-18-2010 11:35 PM

I went to look at a horse once and the trainer had been riding him for so long he was sweaty. That was a big red flag to me. He was a fun ride when I got on, but how long had she ridden before then to tire him out? I kind of watched him online for a bit while she continued to try to sell him and after he was sold, it was only a couple more months before I saw him posted again with the new owners selling him. They were saying he was too much for them to handle. If they had been up front, they may have been able to attract the right kind of buyer in the first place.

wyominggrandma 09-18-2010 11:57 PM

I think the most important thing is to be honest when selling a horse. If there are issues, then be up front about them.. A few years ago, we went to look at a "fantastic" barrel mare. Big, beautiful, well trained, yadda yadda. We drove 8 hours one way in the wind to see this mare she sounded that good. Saw lots of photos and talked to the owners time and time again, they knew we were driving 8 hours one way to see her.
We drove up and I almost got right back in my truck, the horse was a big huge ugly mare, feet the size of dinner plates, looked older than the 12 years she was supposed to be. But, decided to give them a chance anyway. They saddled her up and the guy says" I wanted to be completely honest with you, she is a bit "light in the front".. Of course I work for a vet and have been around horses for ages, so say" ummm, that would mean what exactly?". He says, well she moves stiff, but if you Bute her before every run, she will be fine.... He untied this mare and she could barely turn around she was so painful.... We immediately started to leave and I asked one simple question" you couldnt have mentioned this before we drove 8 hours and he said" well, she works out of it after she is warmed up and I thought you would want to buy her since you drove so far".... I was lived and we drove away.
So, I want honesty in a person about their horse, good and bad and then let me decide if I can accept the bad with the good.