The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Question about white padding on dressage bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/question-about-white-padding-dressage-bridle-64971/)

Cinnys Whinny 09-16-2010 11:17 PM

Question about white padding on dressage bridle

This may seem like a silly question but what is your own personal favorite way to black dressage bridle black and the white padding white???? I was just given a "hand me down" dressage bridle that looks like it's been dragged through the mud and then stored for years. I got it nice and clean, however the black is sort of soft black and the white is dingy looking.

Thoroughbred Hunter Lady 09-17-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 751548)
This may seem like a silly question but what is your own personal favorite way to black dressage bridle black and the white padding white???? I was just given a "hand me down" dressage bridle that looks like it's been dragged through the mud and then stored for years. I got it nice and clean, however the black is sort of soft black and the white is dingy looking.

I think that you're asking how to bring the colors back to their original state. If that is what you're asking, I can tell you that Adams Horse Supply www.adamshorsesupply.com has a liquid color enhancer for leather and it works really well! I purchased the brown and the black (not sure if they stock white) and I can honestly tell you that after following the directions, the colors looked brand new again, it repelled water & rain and also, the colors didn't run, "bleed", etc.

"....hope this helps!"

Cinnys Whinny 09-17-2010 09:48 AM

Thanx :) I actually have the black back, a good dose of Leather CPR made it look new, but the white looks horrible and has even yellowed in places. How do I get it bright white again?

Cinnys Whinny 09-17-2010 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bump, does anybody else have some hints about the dreaded white padding? Here is a picture taken AFTER a good cleaning with saddle soap to show you what I mean.... I want the white padding white again, what do I do?

Cinnys Whinny 09-17-2010 09:22 PM

Just wanted to try one last bump....need my bridle beautiful tomorrow so I may try white "scuff cover" what do you think?

vivache 09-17-2010 11:52 PM

Sadly, the white stuff is usually paint. You'd have to re-paint it.

luvs2ride1979 09-18-2010 01:06 AM

If it's just dingy, use 409 or similar all purpose cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Condition the leather really well when you're done.

If it's flaking off, then you'll need to clean it, strip the white part with denatured alcohol, and then repaint it with leather paint. Be careful not to get the paint or alcohol on the black portions of the bridle.

Cinnys Whinny 09-18-2010 10:48 AM

Well, I needed it for a clinic I actually get to ride in today. We were told to be "show spiffy." I broke down and bought black and white scuff cover and spent the evening meticulously putting the colors in their respected spots. It looks pretty darn good, almost brand new. Then I put "Leather CPR" over it to try to help the colors sink in and not be sticky. It's a good thing horses don't drip sweat down their faces like we humans do.....but I am still keeping my fingers crossed that the white doesn't run down his black face.