The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Back up (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/back-up-64975/)

bethsone 09-16-2010 10:44 PM

Back up

Hi All,

im currently trainig mytwo year old paint filly and have her backing at a slow pace which she doees with ease however im now curious as to how i will next faze that into a quicker back up any views would be appreciated!

I ask her to back by picking up the reins giving a soft squeeze and opening my hips so she is free to move backwards which works well i also release the pressure from the reins as soon as she starts to back and i ask her to stop backing by dropping my hands down.

If this sounds correct/incorrect to you please let me know this is the first horse i have trained for western having previously ridden ad trained for the past twenty years in english.

I want to make sure i am placing the correct aids for the western style to her the first time!!

thank you in advance, B

Equine Angel 11-01-2010 10:52 AM

I would slowly ask her to do more backing. Does she back on ground? Having a good foundation backing up on ground is pretty important. I usually use two hands see saw the reins( i hold my hands up like and open thumbs up and use alternating pink finger to pull on reins). Also I put my feet foward and wiggle them saying sh shh back sh sh back.

SorrelHorse 11-01-2010 12:56 PM

Simple: Ask for more speed.

1) Ask her to back up like normal. Then, give her an extra amount of pressure a click your tongue to ask for more speed. If she doesn't, warn her by adding another dose of pressure. Then, if she still doesn't add speed make her think she is chicken little and the sky is falling xDD

Ask, Tell, Demand. This is how we train horses. Just remember the minute you get what you want release and praise her. :)

mls 11-01-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethsone (Post 751570)
im currently trainig mytwo year old paint filly and have her backing at a slow pace which she doees with ease however im now curious as to how i will next faze that into a quicker back up any views would be appreciated!

She's two. Please give her time to find her balance before asking her to back quickly with a rider.

Equine Angel 11-01-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 801897)

1) Ask her to back up like normal. Then, give her an extra amount of pressure a click your tongue to ask for more speed. If she doesn't, warn her by adding another dose of pressure. Then, if she still doesn't add speed make her think she is chicken little and the sky is falling xDD

Ask, Tell, Demand. This is how we train horses. Just remember the minute you get what you want release and praise her. :)

Sounds very good!

FHF 11-02-2010 12:36 AM

Reverse is not a gear horses use much and as such it has to be practiced. Work on it from the ground as well as from the saddle. Make sure you are well balanced and it wont be long til your horse will pick up the pace. You can also give them a goal like a rope on the ground ten feet behind them. When they back over the rope with all four feel they get to stop. They will figure this out and speed up the back to get to the finish line.

Then when you know without a doubt that your horse knows you are asking for the back, you ask more firmly and continue the pressure and release method. Add the extra firm pressure everytime his backing slows.

Spastic_Dove 11-02-2010 02:46 AM

I'll agree with MLS here.

dunhorse 11-07-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 801897)

yes. don't blow her up, though, she's 2! Don't add too much more bit pressure but go ahead and clap your feet up on her shoulders or your stirrups on her elbows a few times while she's backing up. don't spur her up there quite yet unless she's really dopey. it's also important to keep it straight at this point! don't be afraid to poke your spur in her hip if she gets backing up crooked!

dunhorse 11-07-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 801909)
She's two. Please give her time to find her balance before asking her to back quickly with a rider.

I understand this but if she plans to show next year in some futurity events, now is the time to start stepping things up.