The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Why now? why not next year? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/why-now-why-not-next-year-64978/)

BarrelRacer86 09-16-2010 11:51 PM

Why now? why not next year?

So I had this plan to get this colt (free) and keep riding my old gelding, start the colt on barrels and keep running my old gelding. Then next year sell them both and buy myself a nice mare. But I'm only half owners to both horses so i'd only get half the money, but still enough to buy a nice going barrel mare. Then a man that rides at my barn said he was selliing both his horses, then asked me if I wanted to show his mare at a show this weekend. Well he hauled her up twice for me to ride this week and I love her, she's so soft mouthed and easy to handle and run. She runs better for me than for the guy that owns her. She needs a little work, but I want her and can't wait to run her this weekend. I've thought about asking him if I could make payments on her since I don't have the money now. I wouldn't get the colt then. I don't know, he seems to like me on her. Just wonder if he'd take payments.....

corinowalk 09-16-2010 11:56 PM

He might just. These days, most people aren't above asking. Horses are expensive and people are broke. If you really want to ask him, have a plan. Tell him you will give him x amount every month until she is paid off. I wouldn't want payments to go past 3...maybe 4 months though. It might be worth it to ask him if he'd do a lease on her too. Lots of people are having trouble moving their horses now...lots of leasing opportunities.

Amir 09-17-2010 02:27 AM

It's not going to hurt anyone to ask! The worst that could happen is he says no.
Most of the time people are happy to do payment plans so long as you keep up with the payments and don't take forever.

Saskia 09-17-2010 05:39 AM

He might. Every week someone keeps a horse is money that they are losing.

Not only would he be getting the payments from you, but he also wouldn't have to pay board or have to spend the time caring for it.

Just approach it in a reasonable manner. Don't over commit yourself, and offer a deposit and a monthly or fortnightly repayment. Give him a time-line and he might be interested.

BarrelRacer86 09-20-2010 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I asked at the show. He said he's going to keep her over the winter, so I don't know if he's going to sell her or not. But anyway I had fun riding her, won some money on her too and get to ride her this weekend at the show. So right now I'm just getting to show her which is fine with me =). Tomarrow my colt comes too. and to add to this, this is a picture of her Rowdy

ShutUpJoe 09-20-2010 05:24 PM

She's a nice looking palomino.

BarrelRacer86 09-20-2010 05:56 PM

she is a very nicely built mare lol obviously not just bred for color and she had good lines