The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Posting trot? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/posting-trot-65026/)

darrenvale 09-17-2010 06:11 PM

Posting trot?

What is meant by posting??
x

Scoutrider 09-17-2010 06:25 PM

Posting (or rising trot) is rising up and down in the saddle in rhythm with the horse's trot. Done correctly, the rider's movement matches that of the inside hind leg (and outside foreleg) around a curve - this is considered to be "on the correct diagonal".

A video example (not my vid, just the result of a quick search)

darrenvale 09-17-2010 06:55 PM

Oh yes rising trot, I know :) thank you. I had never heard this name for it before :) x
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 09-18-2010 02:29 AM

You do not use that term in England? It harkens back to the days when the post carriage (carrying the mail) went over the bumpy roads of England and the horses were trotting briskly to make good time. They always had a young boy ride on the back of one of the lead horses to provide guidance if neccesary. Such a long, bumpy ride to be sitting that trot, so the boys started rising to the trot. And over time this was adopted by hunters and such. That's the story I read. Hope that is accurate.

darrenvale 09-18-2010 04:30 PM

It may be used, but I have never heard it, we just call it rising trot. I can image that your story is very true x

Brithorse1996 09-18-2010 05:02 PM

I'm like you, before I was only told rising trot and the first time I heard posting I though it was something completely different

darrenvale 09-18-2010 05:03 PM

Yeah same. I though people where talking about some very strange other kind of trot :L x

VelvetsAB 09-19-2010 04:05 AM

When I was in Ireland they used rising trot and it took me a few seconds to figure it out. Change the rein was soooo unfamiliar that I had to stop and ask.