The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   why would anyone want a quarter horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/why-would-anyone-want-quarter-horse-65105/)

ruger 09-18-2010 10:58 PM

why would anyone want a quarter horse.
 
Quarter horses are great if your into racing but other than that why would anyone want one, most are gut beaters (rough riding) and have never rode any that had any endurance. except for a few appendix qh

VelvetsAB 09-18-2010 11:09 PM

We have several QH's at the lesson barn I ride at who are GREAT horses. Both are smooth to ride. Boston has a cute jump...Sam is a packer and is so honest over fences, it isnt even funny. One girl is still learning to steer and she accidentally steered him in her circle at the fence. He jumped it even though it was a weird angle and spot.

Any QH I have ridden has been a joy to ride and I have never had a problem with getting my "guts beaten out" because of them.

If you dont believe QH's have endurance, then why would so many working ranches have their hands use them? They have to be in their saddle most of the day....how is that not endurance??? The AQHA is the most popular breed in the United States and has the most registered horses in the world. WORLD.

Hmm...tons of people "hate" this horse it looks like....:roll:

corinowalk 09-18-2010 11:12 PM

Hmm...not sure what to make of this comment. Not sure why you feel that way. No one around here races QH's...other than barrel racers. I know that there are QH races...but none in my neck of the woods! I think QH's are quite versatile and make great horses. What *is* your breed of choice?

ShutUpJoe 09-18-2010 11:13 PM

I don't really like Quarters but I don't hate them. They are kind of versatile. You see them doing reining, barrels, poles, lesson horses, racing, ranch work, jumping, dressage and all sorts of other things. They just really aren't the breed for me.

WickedNag 09-18-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruger (Post 753137)
Quarter horses are great if your into racing but other than that why would anyone want one, most are gut beaters (rough riding) and have never rode any that had any endurance. except for a few appendix qh

What do you see winning in the arena's or on working ranches? There is a reason they are America's favorite breed. They are very versatile. You can chase a cow or a can, do dressage or jump. If you need something quick and agile you wouldn't pick a Saddlebred (though I love them too!)

What do you do with your horses? It will make a difference with what breed you would lean towards. I would like to know what you ride and why you chose that breed :)

Charis 09-18-2010 11:15 PM

They are very popular because they are extremely versatile breed; they do everything from driving to eventing. I bet this post was nothing more than trying to get a rise out of people.

ruger 09-18-2010 11:19 PM

my breed of choice is any horse thats an easy keeper with good conformation, long sloping shoulder (for smooth ride) with endurance. i dont hate quarter horses thanks to them i have rode at speeds approaching 60 mph. it takes a steep shouldered gut beater to do that.

Charis 09-18-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruger (Post 753162)
my breed of choice is any horse thats an easy keeper with good conformation, long sloping shoulder (for smooth ride) with endurance. i dont hate quarter horses thanks to them i have rode at speeds approaching 60 mph. it takes a steep shouldered gut beater to do that.

Wow, you should consider contacting the Guiness Book then; 60 MPH is record-setting. Steep shoulders aren't exactly ideal for racing either; they create limited reach out front.

ruger 09-18-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charis (Post 753153)
They are very popular because they are extremely versatile breed; they do everything from driving to eventing. I bet this post was nothing more than trying to get a rise out of people.

NO NO im not trying to get a rise out of anyone, their are just much better breeds for those not into competing in speed events. morgans, mustangs, arabians.
lets use the morgan and mustang for an example most dont relize that morgans are much easier to keep than a QH or TB they will eat much less. as far as ranching with a QA they can go all day on flat ground, but put them in the hills and their done.

WickedNag 09-18-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruger (Post 753167)
they can go all day on flat ground, but put them in the hills and their done.

Don't tell my boys that... I have a 22yr old paint that can go up and down hills all day long and my daughter's qh keeps right up with him. My boys is out of shape due to my own health but if these horses are conditioned there is no reason for them not to be able to ride lots of hills and get off the flats


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0