The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   A different sort of equine art: Sumi-e (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/different-sort-equine-art-sumi-e-65106/)

tinyliny 09-18-2010 11:04 PM

A different sort of equine art: Sumi-e

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 41182Hi guys,

This will be my first attempt to post a picture of my artwork. I was so inspired by some of the incredible work I see here that I took out my ink and brush today and messed around. I don't do portraits of horses in that they look like any certain horse. I try to capture, instead, the essence of the spirited horse.
You know, it's not really 'cause I am so good at it but rather I am lazy and impatient and doing the sort of artwork that requires hard work and precision is way over my head.

ok, I will try and attach this one and gotta take some other shots.
I am a computer idiot . . .

ShutUpJoe 09-18-2010 11:10 PM

It's really good...but what are all the spots?

tinyliny 09-18-2010 11:42 PM

using sumi to draw

The spots are just part of the "action" feeling. YOu know, dust gets kicked up. I dunno. I had been drawing some appalousas, (got too much time on the "appalousas anyone" thread. I would load the brush with some ink and then kind of fling it at the paper. Very freeflowing. What you get, you'll never know.
The paper is a very poor quality paper used for Chinese students to practice their caligraphy on. It's all I had at the time.

I did some t-shirts in a similar style only using 3 colors of permanent crayons on white shirt. they sold promptly at a benefit auction. Wish I had taken a photo before they left me. I am very casual about stuff, **** near everything, including my artwork.

ShutUpJoe 09-18-2010 11:44 PM

Oh I get it, it's really good work. Keep going.

omgpink 09-19-2010 12:12 AM

Wow amazing! I love it!

armydogs 09-20-2010 02:42 AM

really pretty. i really do like it.

Benny 09-20-2010 10:59 PM

Wow, it's beautiful! I love it. But. I gotta ask. What is 'Sumi-e'? How does it work?

Keilee 09-20-2010 11:03 PM

Wow, I really like your style! Please post more. :)

tinyliny 09-20-2010 11:05 PM

Hi,
Sumi-e is Japanese ink and brush drawing. I have a stick of ink, and I mean literally a block of ink, that I grind on a stone to make the ink, watered down. In this case , it wasn't strong enough so I had to go back over it with pencil. Then I added some details with pencil and got kind of carried away there.
I like the way Sumi captures action and fluidity. It's a one shot deal. I lay down a line and cannot erase it. So, I have to kind of FEEL the horse's movement , then commit and go. I throw away lots of them, or I get a good one and then, "blob", I get a huge ink blot on it and it's ruined. It's very precarious , but sometimes I get surprising results and since it isn't a perfect likeness to any particular horse, we can all relate. It is " Horseness".

tinyliny 09-21-2010 04:03 PM

more Sumi (ink) drawings

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 41400

Attachment 41401

Attachment 41402

Attachment 41403