The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   I think he's a gray!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/i-think-hes-gray-65120/)

trailhorserider 09-19-2010 03:08 AM

I think he's a gray!!!

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

Well, maybe some of you remember when my baby Zane was born back in July, I was trying to figure out what color he was. His mom is a gray (I believe black base color) and daddy was a red chestnut.

Guesses were anywhere from bay, to chestnut, to gray.

Well, he is shedding his first baby coat and I believe he is officially "Zane Gray!" What do you think?

The only thing I find confusing is most internet sites say that grays start out graying on the face first, and normally around the eyes/muzzle. My baby is graying out on the face and everywhere else EXCEPT around the eyes and muzzle. How weird is that?

But anyway, I think he is a liver chestnut going gray. Do you guys concur?

I am actually excited about him being a gray, because I have owned two other grays, but never got to see them change color since they were already fleabites and nearly white when I got them. So I'm excited about him being a gray (even though color doesn't matter).

He IS officially a gray now, right? :D

speedy da fish 09-19-2010 06:21 AM

gosh, i would say so! he looks like he is to me anyway. Keep posting pictures of him greying out for us!
at the moment he looks SO much like my horse. His head especially.

ilovesonya 09-19-2010 10:26 AM

yep, I'd say grey! Keep us updated with pics as his colour changes!!

twogeldings 09-19-2010 05:20 PM

If the momma was gray, your going to have a handsome little rose gray colt on your hands ;)

smrobs 09-19-2010 05:25 PM

Looks like it to me :D. I love those young gray horses that are so dark. I am not so much a fan later when they turn white :lol:. I saw one the other day that I would have sworn was a black, except it was dappled and it's tail was gray at the end. Your boy is gonna be gorgeous, no doubt about that.

trailhorserider 09-19-2010 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all!

I know color isn't everything, but I am a bit excited for him to be gray so I can see his color change. :D

Not much is prettier than a loud dapple gray. I don't know if he will go through that stage, because from what I understand some of them don't dapple, just sort of roan out, but hey, it will be exciting whatever he does.

Yes, momma is a gray too. But Dad was a chestnut QH, so I think he had a 50/50 chance of getting the gray gene from his momma.

Yeah, once they turn white they are impossible to keep clean and look good. You see all these fancy white/gray horses in photos and movies and such but what they never tell you is they only look that way for about 5 minutes right after a bath, the rest of the time they looks like an old yellowed sock! :lol:

Anyway, thanks for sharing in my excitement! And I'm sure the older he gets, the more photos I will put into my "Horses" section.

Here he is today with mom. Momma just had the first bath since I've owned her. She did really well!

wild_spot 09-19-2010 09:46 PM

Looks like it!

Latte is grey and I have a photo of her as a chestnut bub - I wish I got to see her change, I'm jealous!
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 09-20-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 753947)
Looks like it!

Latte is grey and I have a photo of her as a chestnut bub - I wish I got to see her change, I'm jealous!
Posted via Mobile Device

That's how I felt about my first two grays! Now it's finally my turn to have all the fun. :lol:

Twigletta 09-21-2010 12:02 PM

yep he's a grey! and very cute with it!

mom2pride 09-23-2010 12:10 AM

BIG boy too!!!! And yes, I would say he is going grey!!! :D