The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding my 16 year old. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-my-16-year-old-65142/)

HannahJo 09-19-2010 02:37 PM

Riding my 16 year old.

I just have a question about bareback riding with my 16 year old, Poke. I have riden her with the saddle, but I think bareback is more challenging and more fun so the last few times I've riden her, it's been bareback. I've heard different things from different people about bareback riding, so I was just wondering if I should be using the saddle instead? I dont know if you can see in any of her pictures, but her back is slightly swayed. Nothing serious, just has a little more dip than Magic's. (she hasn't shown any signs of distress/pain while riding or after riding bareback) So is it okay for me to continue riding her bareback often?

Clair 09-19-2010 02:44 PM

As long as youre not bouncing and jouncing her when you ride, then bareback is safe for her.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but when we ride bareback we sit the trot. If you can post bareback, I admire you, :)
And collection is very important. If you let her throw her head up while trotting it will definitely cause more problems for her back. Otherwise it should be fine.

Bareback can accentuate balance problems, so you find her going funny you might wanna check your seat. They can feel every little thing bareback!

Obviously- if she shows signs of pain or has swelling, then stop, and maybe talk to your vet. But done right- you shouldnt have any problems!

trailhorserider 09-19-2010 02:46 PM

I looked at the photos of Poke in your "horses" section and her back looks totally normal to me. He withers are higher, which makes her like she has a dip in her back, but if you just look at her back and ignore the high withers, her back is actually very straight and normal looking, in my humble opinion. :-)

HannahJo 09-19-2010 02:55 PM

Thanks for the comments. We mostly just walk around, but when we do trot I try to make sure I am not bouncing around. Her trot is pretty smooth anyways, so that helps.
And I never really thought about having high withers. But looking now, her back does seem normal. Her withers just make it appear like she has a little dip. Thanks for pointing that out! :)