The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Going from western to english (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/going-western-english-6517/)

toosexy4myspotz 03-01-2008 07:34 PM

Going from western to english

I have never actually rode english but I would love to. I ride Poco western and bareback all the time. When I was working with him the other day I was thinking about learing to ride him english. Hes got a gorgeous trot and an oustanding canter. When you ride him western he has a good jog and lop and keeps a low headset but when you ride bareback or just with a pad he carries his head high and just gives an outstanding performace. I will never show him but I was just wondering what I should do to get him accustomed to englsih without breaking his western training.

Jr_lover 03-01-2008 07:43 PM

mostly it will be the same he should accustome himself to the english saddle like nothing happened. Junior got changed into an english saddle and has a natural different attitude in it. So honestly i don't know about the training yet but others could help you on that.

mlkarel2010 03-01-2008 07:44 PM

Collection!! That's what we do.... make sure they can be collected and still move naturally.... also I'd say post the trot in the Western saddle sometime so he can get used to it.... and do a lot of work in a snaffle.....

that's my advice, even though I bet other people know more about it then I do.... we don't normally have many English horses, but one just went home today and that's what we did with him

Jr_lover 03-01-2008 09:17 PM

i hate that stupid snaffle idea. Whoever thought it was best to ride horses only in snaffles is crazy. If your horse is tough mouthed get a twisted snaffle not one of those regular O-ring broken snaffles you'll regret it..

mlkarel2010 03-01-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jr_lover
i hate that stupid snaffle idea. Whoever thought it was best to ride horses only in snaffles is crazy. If your horse is tough mouthed get a twisted snaffle not one of those regular O-ring broken snaffles you'll regret it..

For english you can't use a curb bit though...

JustDressageIt 03-01-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

I prefer French Links to snaffles, but I prefer snaffles to curbs, that's for sure. It's all about getting your horse to have a soft mouth.

Plus you can't ride (compete anyways) in western curb bits.

mlkarel2010 03-01-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
Quote:

I prefer French Links to snaffles, but I prefer snaffles to curbs, that's for sure. It's all about getting your horse to have a soft mouth.

Plus you can't ride (compete anyways) in western curb bits.

Exactly!! I couldn't have put it better myself :D

Jr_lover 03-01-2008 10:06 PM

yea let me rephrase that i noticed it sounds different than what i wanted it to mean. I am meaning those regular O-ring snaffles not twisted or anything. I hate it when people recommend that bit even if they don't know the horse because not ALL horses can ride in that bit. Thats what i meant but other snaffles are fine with me.

JustDressageIt 03-01-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

yea let me rephrase that i noticed it sounds different than what i wanted it to mean. I am meaning those regular O-ring snaffles not twisted or anything. I hate it when people recommend that bit even if they don't know the horse because not ALL horses can ride in that bit. Thats what i meant but other snaffles are fine with me.

Fair enough, but most horses should be able to be ridden in a snaffle... at least that's my opinion. Even if I know a horse is hard-mouthed I'll ride in a French Link. Who says control has to come from the hands? That's a minor part of riding.
Heck, I prefer riding in a halter to either option!!

mlkarel2010 03-01-2008 10:16 PM

Yet again I agree with JDI...... even though I don't get a lot of opportunity to ride in a halter.... hopefully soon I'll be able to break in my Parelli like homemade hackamore..... *sigh*