The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horses and water (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horses-water-65186/)

MyBoyPuck 09-19-2010 09:56 PM

Horses and water

So...when you let your horse go into a lake or the ocean, when they start pawing and splashing, is the next step always a drop and swim? Just curious because we were in up to our upper legs yesterday and my horse kept splashing away to the point where he felt like he was about the go swimming. I didn't have a change of clothes with me, so I kept moving him forward after about 10 splashes. Anyone here ever go unintentionally swimming with their horse?

NorthernMama 09-19-2010 10:18 PM

In my experience, they won't swim until the water is too deep for them to walk basically. As for drop and roll -- sometimes, yes, but not in water that deep. Usually only a few inches to a foot (my 17.3h stdbd will roll in a foot of water). I think it's more the mud that appeals to them for rolling than the water.

Just pay attention to your horses head; typically it goes down before the rest of the horse! If you're too late and she goes down -- bail! :)

Amir 09-19-2010 10:26 PM

A couple of friends have been inintentionally swimming with their horses :lol:
One, we were crossing a pretty shallow creek and he splashed a couple times, had a drink then before she could ask him to walk, he layed down.
The other time was when we went to the beach. My friend was riding her Standardbred and he likes to go and just stand in their dam and then roll in the sand, so when he saw sand and water in the same place, he got over joyed and went straight down and started rolling. Right infront of a lovely beach front restaurant - packed out for lunch time :lol:
I've walked my gelding through water a couple times and he's allowed to have a splash, but that's it. One day he thought he'd outsmart me and just go down, but he got half way down and was yelled at so he gave up.
NorthernMama is right though. They won't actually swim unless the water is too deep for them to walk.

Silvera 09-19-2010 10:53 PM

I've been swimming, true swimming. We where walking down the river and all of a sudden the bottom was no longer there :) at that point the horses had to swim or they would sink :P I've also had my horse try and roll in the river when it came up to his knees...it was hot and he figured it would be a great way to cool off. He got all the way down to, and started the roll before I could get after him. I was able to get him back up before he went all the way over with me though.

kitten_Val 09-20-2010 06:45 AM

I've never dealt with dropping in water with my horses. They just splash and splash and splash. However I've seen it happened with the some horses. Not positive it's so much fun.

WickedNag 09-20-2010 07:28 AM

Love to take the horses swimming. But splashing is a no no...horses are not allowed to get you wet unless you want them to according to my trainer :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ures/JaRED.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../jaredswim.jpg

kitten_Val 09-20-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 754323)
Love to take the horses swimming. But splashing is a no no...horses are not allowed to get you wet unless you want them to according to my trainer :)

Just curious why? My qh goes splashing for literally half-hour non-stop, obviously having a great fun and also deeping her nose almost up to eyes in water from time to time.

WickedNag 09-20-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 754336)
Just curious why? My qh goes splashing for literally half-hour non-stop, obviously having a great fun and also deeping her nose almost up to eyes in water from time to time.

Hmm thought I answered that :lol: My trainer says that horses are not suppose to get you wet unless you ask them too. I guess you would have to ask him. The first time I took my paint into the lake he started splashing and he told me not to let him do that. So I made him stop. I will call Jared later and ask him or ask him when he comes to trim this week.

My daughter's old palomino mare would put her head completely underwater

kitten_Val 09-20-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 754346)
Hmm thought I answered that :lol: My trainer says that horses are not suppose to get you wet unless you ask them too. I guess you would have to ask him. The first time I took my paint into the lake he started splashing and he told me not to let him do that. So I made him stop. I will call Jared later and ask him or ask him when he comes to trim this week.

My daughter's old palomino mare would put her head completely underwater

Oh, yes, you did. :wink: I was just wondering what's is behind "not make you wet" thing. May be it's just not deep enough here, I never got wet really from her splashes (and she does it really hard). Lol!

I remember discussion on my local forum people don't let them do it because horse may lay down in water. But I'd guess it depends on horse. I've seen it only once happening. I bet rider was very "excited". :lol:

WickedNag 09-20-2010 08:37 AM

Shunke loved splashing in the water and I laughed right up until Jared got to the water and chewed me out LOL. I will ask him today though and ask him specifically why.