The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   How to get rid of a cat? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/how-get-rid-cat-65208/)

horseluver250 09-20-2010 09:17 AM

How to get rid of a cat?

We have this tom cat that keeps coming into our feed room at night and spraying all over our feed bins and anything that is left on the ground. I can't leave any tack in there because of him. We do have our own barn cat that we feed in that stall. I have only been feeding her in the mornings so she doens't have any food left in the bowl in the evening for any other cats to get into. Our cat is fixed and vaccinated regularly.
I am positive it is our neighbor's cat as I see it up at their barn most of the time (they have a barn they built especially for the cats). Big problem is that our grandmother puts food out for the stray cats, and our barn is between her house and the neighbors. There is absolutely no chance that I can talk a stubborn 91 year old woman out of doing what she always has. I had thought about trapping him and having him nuetered, but in all honesty I am strapped for cash and certainly don't want to be spending what little money I have on someone else's animal when I have my own I need to care for. And it really ticks me off that the neighbors have this 1+ million dollar home, tennis court, inground pool, exotic animals etc but can't nueter their **** cats.
So anyone have any ideas how to discourage the cat from coming into the barn at night? Something I could maybe spray in the feed room where it is spraying? I tried bleaching the bins, but it still comes in and sprays the same spots. Its really disgusting and I am sick of my barn reeking like cat urine.

waterbuggies 09-20-2010 09:59 AM

We have a free cat neutaring program here with the university. Call a local vet and pound and see if they know of any free cat neutaring programs in the area.

ShutUpJoe 09-20-2010 10:06 AM

Hunt around for a humane trap to borrow. Google your county and low cost neuter programs.

Speed Racer 09-20-2010 10:09 AM

Trap him, and take him to the nearest animal shelter.

It's not your responsibility to have him neutered.

mbender 09-20-2010 10:29 AM

I hate to say but nuetering him may not stop him from spraying. Its a territorial thing. Is there a way to close off the grain room?
Posted via Mobile Device

NdAppy 09-20-2010 10:32 AM

Going to agree with the person that said neutering wont stop the spraying. Once they learn to spray, they spray for the rest of their lives as far as I know.

I would personal set up a door or some other barrier like that is cat proof. Downside is your cat can't get in there to hunt (if that is what you want) but I think it is a fair trade off to keep you stuff from being sprayed.

ShutUpJoe 09-20-2010 10:43 AM

I've got it! Put a dog where he is spraying. I agree it's not your responsibility to neuter him, only made the above comment because you sounded willing.

horseluver250 09-20-2010 10:47 AM

Theres no way to close off the grain room. Its just a horse stall with open bars at the top of it. The door is kept closed, but the cats just jump up through the bars. He sprays in other areas, but the grain room seems to be his favorite area to ruin things, most likely because our own cat is in there alot. Our dogs chase him off during the day, but we keep them in the apartment with us at night.

NdAppy 09-20-2010 10:54 AM

Can you put chicken wire up inside the bars?

Also he is your neighbors cat correct? Have a talk with them too and let them know that he is essentially destroying your property. If they aren't willing to take responsibility for their cat, get a humane trap and haul him into the humane society if he is that much of a nuisance. Just a thought though, if there are a lot of strays in your neighborhood, you take the chance if you take him out that you will end up with a nastier tom-cat. Been there, done that, NOT fun.

charlicata 09-20-2010 03:43 PM

Agree with Speed Racer and Nd Appy.

Talk to the owners first to find out if it is in fact their cat, and ask them to keep him in their barn. If not, trap him and take him to the local animal shelter.