The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   So I think I got a pretty good deal! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/so-i-think-i-got-pretty-65294/)

lollipop 09-21-2010 11:44 AM

So I think I got a pretty good deal!

I scan Craigslist daily because I've been looking to invest in a decent Western saddle. I found an ad for a Circle Y show saddle, breastplate, and bridle/reins for $300 and was so excited! :)

I picked the saddle up and I almost feel like I robbed the person who sold it. It is 10 years old (from what I can deciper from the serial number) - but it is in mint condition. The only flaw is that some of the silver needs cleaning. It's sooooo gorgeous, all tooled with diamond cut silver accents on all of the pieces. The only thing I need to fix is that one of the reins is missing the chicago screw.

The best part is that the saddle was a perfect size for me, and seems to fit my horse like a dream. Now I need to get a new pad and also a cinch for it. Does anyone have any particular cinches that they really like?

Speed Racer 09-21-2010 11:50 AM

Congrats on your find, lollipop. Sometimes CL can come through.

I have no advice on cinches, since I ride only English.

corinowalk 09-21-2010 11:56 AM

I like the weaver smart cinches. They are easy to cinch and fit very well. They can actually be tightened from the saddle too! What a great buy! I love Circle Y's. So beautiful.

trailhorserider 09-21-2010 12:00 PM

Wow, that sounds like a steal! People want tons of money for junk around here. :evil:

As for cinches, I really like mohair because I have never had one rub my horse and they wash so nice and soft when they get dirty. I just soak it in a bucket for about 20 minutes and rinse. I'm a big fan on natural fibers. Those Alpaca cinches made by Classic Equine are super nice too, maybe even nicer than the mohair. :-)

I don't like those neoprene types because I think they make the horse sweat a lot. And I have seen them gald some horses too.

Amarea 09-21-2010 06:59 PM

I second the Smart Cinch. We all ride in them at Indy's barn!

ImagineThat 09-21-2010 08:00 PM

I love my CE Alpaca! It is sooo soft. I also love the 5 star mohair cinches. They WILL NOT rub. I hate neoprene ones.

Congrats on your saddle, sounds awesome! We need pictures! :)

RadHenry09 09-21-2010 10:50 PM

Wow , such a great find for you! Also...love Circle Y saddles. Could you post pics of it ?

I also use the smart cinches and really like them.

Heartland 09-21-2010 11:00 PM

Congrats!! Heck, I bought a Circle Y show saddle just last month. It was ridden in under 20 times and I paid $600. You did better than I did! I didn't get a breastcollar and headstall with it. Kudos! I agree. The smart cinches are pretty nifty. :)

NdAppy 09-21-2010 11:29 PM

Wow! Great find! Congrats. :D Dittoing the pics question. I would love to see your find. :)

kitten_Val 09-22-2010 08:13 AM

Congrats! It's a VERY good price IMHO. I personally use Pro Choice girth on my western (actually Pro Choice on my english as well).