The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Bored of going in circles. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/bored-going-circles-65300/)

ErikaLynn 09-21-2010 11:46 AM

Bored of going in circles.

I'm going to go ride the horse I train tonight. She is a 14 year old Dutch Warmblood. I am working on trying to keep her collected at the trot, and canter, and I am working on getting her to use her hind end.

But I am so bored of just walk, trot, canter, around the ring. I want some suggestions for some arena exercises, just something different than going around the arena a bunch of times. And something that will help with the things I am working on with her. Anything will be appreciated...thanks.

Zeke 09-21-2010 12:09 PM

Is your arena big enough to try some figure 8's or turpintine type patterns? Switching up directions a little more awesome is great for keeping the horses attention on you, and killing boredom a bit.

You could also maybe try trot poles and if you know how to space and canter them you could. Sometimes I set up our poles a square (with all the ends of the poles touching) and start circles where at one point I go through the square of poles. This is easy to switch up, start going through the pole square on direction, then make a smaller circle and come around to the direction that is perpendicular to the direction you just came. I would do this at a trot first before trying a canter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 09-21-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 755727)
turpintine type patterns?

I am guessing Zeke means serpentine type patterns.

Speed Racer 09-21-2010 12:17 PM

Or turpentine patterns. Those would be cool, especially when you lit them on fire! :lol:

Neither you nor the horse would be bored dodging flames!

Zeke 09-21-2010 12:20 PM

Maybe my trainers an idiot or I could never hear but that's what we called them. Thanks for the joke tho
Posted via Mobile Device

Eta: but yes, serpentine

ErikaLynn 09-21-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 755736)
Or turpentine patterns. Those would be cool, especially when you lit them on fire! :lol:

Hahaha you're right that would definitly keep me and the horse on our toes
Posted via Mobile Device

Spastic_Dove 09-21-2010 03:52 PM

Highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Dressage-Exercises-Horse-Rider-ebook/dp/B003WOL56Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285098668&sr=8-1
Gives you lots of good ideas. Some of the exercises go past the level of riding I am personally capable of with my horses, but they have some great things in there.

ErikaLynn 09-21-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 756063)
Highly recommend this book: Amazon.com: 101 Dressage Exercises for Horse & Rider eBook: Jec Aristotle Ballou: Gateway

Gives you lots of good ideas. Some of the exercises go past the level of riding I am personally capable of with my horses, but they have some great things in there.

Great. Thanks.

tealamutt 09-21-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 755736)

LOL!:lol: Just so you don't feel bad Zeke, my husband mis-hears words all the time. A few of my favorites:

bob-wire (for barbed wire)
cackles (for a dog's hackles)
for all intense purposes (for all intents and purposes)

oh and YES I love that 101 dressage book. Saved my mind and my horse's last winter, it's a great one!