The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Barrel racing books/videos/clinics (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-books-videos-clinics-65338/)

aforred 09-21-2010 07:16 PM

Barrel racing books/videos/clinics

I'm wondering if anyone on here has read any of the various books, seen any of the videos, or attended any clinics on barrel racing (or pole bending or gymkhana), and what they thought of them.

I attended a clinic by Ed and Martha Wright years ago that was just awesome. If you have a chance to go, I highly recommend that you do. They covered horsemanship, tack, and gave one-on-one instruction. I learned as much from watching them instruct others as I did from the instruction they gave me. I also learned a lot from the other attendees. I loved the stuff they taught about how different bits work on the horse. I liked their clinic so much, that when I was their book a few minutes ago, I just had to order it. :D

I read Barrel Racing (the Western Horseman book) by Sharon Camarillo when I first started out, and I still refer back to that sometimes. Camarillo makes the information she presents accessible (I read it when I was a freshman in high school and had no trouble with the concepts) and easy to implement.

If you've seen/read/attended something that was good (or bad), let us know. I'm always looking for ways to do better with my horses, and I'm sure you are too.

barrelracer892 09-22-2010 04:27 PM

I used to have that Sharon Camarillo book and I can't find where it went! I really liked it. I have one now that Marlene McRae wrote called Barrel Racing 101 and it's ok. I like her exercises and training, but as far as some of her general horsemanship techniques I agree and disagree with some of them. One of my friends went to a Martha Josey clinic in Kentucky and absolutely loved it. Her and her horse are very consistent with their runs now. *Knock on wood* I haven't seen her knock a barrel at a show or rodeo since they've been back! I've been to the Georgia State 4-H Horse Show and School a couple times and the trainers I had for a week down there were very good. Helped me out a bunch. I can't remember their names for the life of me though! I think one was Dina somebody though.

aforred 09-29-2010 11:25 PM

I just finished the Wrights' book I ordered the other day, and it was awesome. It covers everything from breeding a barrel prospect or picking a prospect to fixing problems in a finished horse. There are a lot of pictures and diagrams for us visual learners. :wink: I think it's one I will keep coming back to.

I also watched the McRae video. There was some helpful information in it, but most of it I already had drilled into me by the awesome trainer I had as a kid. It's just so hard to find anything on running poles. :evil: I don't think it was worth the money I paid for it, but it might be to someone who has less experience, or someone just wanting to learn about pole bending.

barrelracer892 09-30-2010 09:22 AM

I've yet to find anything about poles either. If I find anything I'll let you know!

aforred 09-30-2010 08:15 PM

That would be awesome, thanks!

The Wrights' book had a chapter on hauling and what to do differently on different types of ground that I thought was interesting. It's been awhile since I hauled much, so this stuff is great.

ImagineThat 10-06-2010 10:45 AM

I am partial since I use a lot of Clinton's methods.... but I LOOOVE Clinton Anderson and Sherry Cervi's DVD set. It is perfect for me since I do all of that ground work and foundation under saddle already. It's expensive since its a 6 disk set, but I get a loooot of use out of it. I have had it since it first came out and I can still go back and find answers to my current questions.

It has Clinton's ground work, Sherry doing the ground work, starting and finishing one on the pattern, and my favorite... they actually took 3 problem horses and worked on them and the owners.

SissyGoBob 01-20-2011 10:37 PM

MARTHA JOSEY!!!!!!!!!!! The greatest in the world. I have her books, been to a 5 day clinic where we stayed on her property and I own 2, soon to be 3 of her bits. She is awesome. I bet I took a goos half a second off my times. Ty Mitchell helps her with her clinics, he teaches what she taught him.

These videos are must see videos to help with barrel racing:

Streakin 01-21-2011 11:31 AM

I plan to go to the Josey ranch this spring.

Ive been to a Reinhardt clinic....great people...great methods...great atmosphere.

SissyGoBob 01-21-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streakin (Post 897872)
I plan to go to the Josey ranch this spring.

Ive been to a Reinhardt clinic....great people...great methods...great atmosphere.

Awesome. Have you ever been to Josey Clinic?

DiamondsMyLady 01-21-2011 02:08 PM

This is helpful! I've been trying to find good books, but haven't been able to, so i'm glad you posted this!!! I do enjoy reading anything from stacy westfall though. i realize she's a reiner, but it helps with the horses half halts for me.