The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Antsy pants?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/antsy-pants-65340/)

13kielj 09-21-2010 08:35 PM

Antsy pants?!

Hello,
My mare won't stand still in the stall, she stomps and won't stop moving her feet in the trailer, and doesn't like to stand still while I'm riding her. She is a 15 year old Arabian. When she is in the stall it is usually just long enough for her to eat her grain then its back to pasture. And when in the trailer, we trailer once a week to once every other week in the spring through summer and she is still antsy when she is worn out from a ride. And as for while we ride, she normally does alright execpt when we practice reining or just gallop and try to stop, what happens is near the end of our rides we like to work on reining and she gets very excited from the running that when I try to get her to stand still she will stop good but won't stay still. She will do anything from backing up to side stepping across the arena. I have tryed all of my ideas to get her to stop (this is my biggest problem) I have tryed as soon as she stands still we can go again and I have tryed spinning her until she stops and she just doesn't seem to get it, I am stumped. ANY HELP?!! (sorry for any bad grammer or spelling and the length!)
Thanks

Zeke 09-21-2010 08:54 PM

Does she ever have time where she's tied by herself? Also when riding how long do you ask for her to stand still before thinking she can't and just continuing on? Is this a new problem?

My suggestion would be to leave her tied for 30-45 mins everyday or so to see if this helps. Some horses will learn they aren't going anywhere no matter how antsy they are so they might as well stand still. Pick a moment when she's not being as fidgety to bring her in. Also under saddle I would stop and ask her to stand between each run down for at least 4-5 mins if not longer or ask her to walk a couple slow circles to get her mind off running a bit and then try standing still.

13kielj 09-23-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 756312)
Does she ever have time where she's tied by herself? Also when riding how long do you ask for her to stand still before thinking she can't and just continuing on? Is this a new problem?

My suggestion would be to leave her tied for 30-45 mins everyday or so to see if this helps. Some horses will learn they aren't going anywhere no matter how antsy they are so they might as well stand still. Pick a moment when she's not being as fidgety to bring her in. Also under saddle I would stop and ask her to stand between each run down for at least 4-5 mins if not longer or ask her to walk a couple slow circles to get her mind off running a bit and then try standing still.

Okay Ill try this. The most she is tied by herself is when I go to get a saddle or sometimes I leave her tied up while I either go to get another horse or to clean out the arena. I usually will ask her to stand until she stays completely still which is a good 5 minutes usually. This really has always been a problem but it is just now being a concern because I before didnt ask her to run and stand still alot.

AlexS 09-23-2010 06:06 PM

Sounds like she is hot. Is she getting too much grain?

13kielj 09-24-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 758424)
Sounds like she is hot. Is she getting too much grain?

She gets about 3/4 a scoop usually once a day sometimes twice we have cut back to once a day because she got really fat but if they start getting to thin we will start on twice a day