The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   My new yearling won't eat pellets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/my-new-yearling-wont-eat-pellets-65384/)

JennyRae 09-22-2010 11:53 AM

My new yearling won't eat pellets

Hi I recently bought the full sister to my other horse Mack, they're both 3/4 percheron, 1/8 paint and 1/8 arab. I feed him lots of hay, beet pulp and 1/2c of milled flax and a little canola oil and he has done really well on that. Mack would eat ANYTHING but Georgia not so much. I started her on hay and a Grow Pellet with 14% protein but she won't eat the pellets, not even a little bit. Does anyone have any ideas for something else I could try to add to the pellets to make them a little more tempting for her? A friend recommended mixing in sweet feed and then gradually weaning her off that but I really hate to feed her so much sugar. Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :-)

Speed Racer 09-22-2010 11:54 AM

Try adding animal-grade molasses to her pellets and see if that doesn't help.

Are you wetting her food down? I always wet my horses' feed.

JennyRae 09-22-2010 12:02 PM

I've tried it wet, not wet, with beet pulp, without beet pulp, with oil, without oil.......

mls 09-22-2010 12:09 PM

Does she know what grain is?

JennyRae 09-22-2010 04:10 PM

I don't think she ever had grain before I got her but she sees the other horses eating and comes over very curious. She sniffs the dish and paws and it and then snorts and walks away.

PaintHorseMares 09-22-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyRae (Post 757181)
I don't think she ever had grain before I got her but she sees the other horses eating and comes over very curious. She sniffs the dish and paws and it and then snorts and walks away.

Horses like what they know and often are slow to try new things. Our youngest mare had never had an apple before we got her and would sniff, snort, and eat around them, too. After almost a year she finally ate a slice and now she'll follow you anywhere for an apple. I would just give her time.

luvs2ride1979 09-23-2010 08:06 AM

I would mix in some alfalfa pellets. Most horses love alfalfa, even ifthey've never had it before ;-).