The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Professional Choice SMx Air Ride OrthoSport Pad??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/professional-choice-smx-air-ride-orthosport-65389/)

NicoleS11 09-22-2010 01:25 PM

Professional Choice SMx Air Ride OrthoSport Pad???

My gelding has a pretty high wither. I ordered the Professional Choice SMx Air Ride OrthoSport Pad. The website said it provides essential fit that both aged and more prominent-withered horses need to achieve optimum level of comfort. It is dished out behind the shoulder and along the spine, creating an even saddle fit from front to back relieving pressure from the spine and kidney area.

Has any one ever used one? How did you like it?

Thanks

lilruffian 09-22-2010 02:14 PM

I don't have the same one you're getting but i do have an SMX Air ride & LOVE it. I'm looking into getting another for my other horse but they're pretty expensive (hopefully for x-mas!) :D I think you'll like it ;)

NicoleS11 09-22-2010 02:16 PM

Thank you.

I love Professional Choice products...I have a pad already and a few pairs of boots but ive never tried or even seen a OrthoSport pad.

CloudsMystique 09-22-2010 06:18 PM

I know of several horses that became back sore from the SMx pad. I would go with a wool felt pad if I were you...

Something like this:
Wool Felt Saddle Pad by Classic Equine

If you don't think the cut out will leave enough room for your horse's withers, I'm sure you can find one that's completely cut back.

dizzynurse 09-22-2010 06:28 PM

I love my smx pad!!

NicoleS11 09-22-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 757249)
I know of several horses that became back sore from the SMx pad. I would go with a wool felt pad if I were you...

Something like this:
Wool Felt Saddle Pad by Classic Equine

If you don't think the cut out will leave enough room for your horse's withers, I'm sure you can find one that's completely cut back.

Really?? How so?

The SMx Air ride pad or the OrthoSport pad?

NicoleS11 09-22-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzynurse (Post 757255)
I love my smx pad!!

I love mine to but I dont have the OrthoSport, just the Air ride. Is yours the OrthoSport?

CloudsMystique 09-22-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoleS11 (Post 757257)
Really?? How so?

The SMx Air ride pad or the OrthoSport pad?

Both... it's the material they put in the center of the pad.

A reining stallion at my barn was worked in a wool felt pad and switched to the SMx pad right before the show. He was so sore they couldn't ride him after just 1-2 rides in the pad! They took him home, gave him some rest, rode him in the wool felt pad and he was perfect.

But I'm not saying it'll be like that for every horse. From your last post it sounds like you've used the Air Ride pad without any bad results... since it's the same material in the center, you should be fine with this pad.

NicoleS11 09-22-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 757266)
Both... it's the material they put in the center of the pad.

A reining stallion at my barn was worked in a wool felt pad and switched to the SMx pad right before the show. He was so sore they couldn't ride him after just 1-2 rides in the pad! They took him home, gave him some rest, rode him in the wool felt pad and he was perfect.

But I'm not saying it'll be like that for every horse. From your last post it sounds like you've used the Air Ride pad without any bad results... since it's the same material in the center, you should be fine with this pad.

That’s so weird…with the amount of well known trainers that are sponsored by PC, it blows my mind that they would make a horses back sore. Im not saying it didn’t happen to the stallion at your barn but that is just so crazy. I doubt that John Lyons or Charmayne James would use the products if they were making their horses sore…

CloudsMystique 09-22-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoleS11 (Post 757270)
That’s so weird…with the amount of well known trainers that are sponsored by PC, it blows my mind that they would make a horses back sore. Im not saying it didn’t happen to the stallion at your barn but that is just so crazy. I doubt that John Lyons or Charmayne James would use the products if they were making their horses sore…

Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't happen to every horse. I, too, love PC and would use 99% of their products... this is just one that I wouldn't use : )