The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Unknown Brand (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/unknown-brand-65446/)

jilloconnor 09-23-2010 05:59 AM

Unknown Brand

I own a Paint horse and am trying to find where what his brand is from. He has a faint Trailhorse brand on his left hip and then has a freeze brand on his right hip of V= I haven't been able to find out where that brand comes from. Does anyone know how to track a brand or know this one in particular? I live in New Hampshire and no one brands here. I was told he "might" have come from Colorado but think he has been horse traded and moved a lot as he has some trust issues. It just would be nice to know.

ChevyPrincess 09-23-2010 11:33 AM

I would say see what brands are registered with your county, but since y'all don't have any that might be hard. Is he registered?

dressagebelle 09-23-2010 02:11 PM

Generally you can get online and look up common brands. I did it once just to see, but honestly I would go online, and you can find what symbols generally mean what. Here's a site, probably doesn't have all the brands in the country, but at least it can give you a general idea of what the symbols mean, and if you can get a good enough idea, you can type in "Circle Bar K Rocking Ranch" (just a random name lol), and it might pull up that ranch in the search, and if there's contacting information, maybe send a picture of the horse, or the brand, and ask if they know the horse, and if they do, if they have any sort of history on the horse, just so you can know more about where he came from.

tooter 09-27-2010 10:17 AM

newbie here .
I need some help we have a rescued qh with a lip tattoo z426 and from what I have been reading online ,I dont think that I have enough numbers, can any one help me, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. thanks

wyominggrandma 09-27-2010 10:16 PM

sounds as if he has been on the racetrack to have a tattoo on his lip. I had an apendix gelding with a lip tattoo.. take a photo of his lip, that might help to get it clearer.

corinowalk 09-27-2010 10:34 PM

OP get a pic of the brand in question and someone on here might be able to help you. IF you do a google of 'colorado horse brands' there are usually a site or two that lists the most popular brands in colorado.