Best paint to use for a horse
I am going to dress my horse up as an american indian horse with war paint for Halloween. I was wondering what the best and safest paint to use. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!
When I was a kid we used to paint phrases and put "war paint" on our horses at fun shows. We always used a home made tempera recipe, you can pick up powdered tempera paint base/colors at any craft store or probably even Wal-mart these days. It's basically like a finger paint, non toxic and non staining, washes off easily with water.
Here is the recipe we used:
* Medium saucepan
* 1/2 cup cornstarch
* 1/2 cup cold water
* 4 cups boiling water
* Small jars or plastic containers
* Tempera paint, powdered
1. Measure cornstarch into saucepan.
2. Add cold water to cornstarch and stir to make a smooth paste.
3. Stir in boiling water.
4. Place saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until boiling.
5. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Cool.
6. Spoon about 1/2 cup of thickened cornstarch mixture into each container, using a different cup for each color.
7. For each color, stir 1 teaspoon dry tempera into cornstarch mixture. (Use more paint for more intense color.)
8. If paint is too thick, stir in 1 teaspoon water at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
9. Store in refrigerator. This recipe makes about 4 cups of paint, enough for 4-5 horses (depending on how heavily you decorate them!).
Ahh! I love it :)
I did that last halloween!!! (It's in my avatar: me and my boyfriend, the cowboy, are painting him up)
I have pony paints now, but they're expensive.
Last year I just went to the craft store and got nontoxic washable kid-friendly paints! Just make sure it's little kid safe, and it should be okay to put on your horse.
i've used pony paint..
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0