The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Show helmet help please? S: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/show-helmet-help-please-s-65544/)

Bluezepher94 09-24-2010 02:12 PM

Show helmet help please? S:

I went to the tack store last weekend to purchase my first show helmet since I'm planning to start showing in Spring. I had been looking into them online and asking around, so I was looking to get the Charles Owens GR8. I had no idea what helmet size I was though, so we tried a few different helmets on first. When we saw the IRH XR9, we saw that it looked pretty much like the GR8, but was $170.00 instead of $275.00 so we ended up buying the XR9. It seemed to fit fine in the store (with my hair in it), but when we got home, we didn't really like the way it looked as much. It seemed to come out around the sides of my head and look round/bulky. I've heard that IRHs are more circular/round while Charles Owens are more oval-shaped. If that's true, do you think it would be worth it for me to go back and purchase the GR8 instead? (Of course I'll try it on first.)Thank you. (:

eventerdrew 09-25-2010 12:50 PM

I have a huge problem with IRH's as well. It was my competition helmet for YEARS. When I was forced to buy a new one due to a bad fall, I got a Charles Owen Skull Cap. Then I realized how bad of a fit my IRH was.

I would go for the CO. If your head is shaped like mine, then it'll fit much better!

RadHenry09 09-25-2010 01:50 PM

I have to agree with the IRH having fitting problems. I bought a new one last spring for my daughter to use as her show helmet . First year showing in 4H and such and I thought it would last her for awhile but after wearing it almost all day at a few shows she started complaining about it squeezing the sides of her head and felt really uncomfortable.

We switched to a the troxel velvet show helmet and it seems to fit her a lot better and she wore it without any complaint. I thought the IRH looked nicer but when it comes down to it , I wasnt the one wearing it and helmets shouldnt make your head hurt. I think I will start looking around for a Charles Owens helmet sometime in the future, I have always heard good things about them.

Bluezepher94 09-26-2010 04:29 PM

Alright, thanks!

~*~anebel~*~ 09-27-2010 01:02 PM

I have an IRH and love it, it fits me really well. It all depends on your head shape, preference for "looks" and budget. So other people's opinions will always differ from yours. I find that the CO helmets don't fit me at all, where as a lot of people really like them. Go with whatever YOU like.

My2Geldings 09-27-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluezepher94 (Post 759575)
I went to the tack store last weekend to purchase my first show helmet since I'm planning to start showing in Spring. I had been looking into them online and asking around, so I was looking to get the Charles Owens GR8. I had no idea what helmet size I was though, so we tried a few different helmets on first. When we saw the IRH XR9, we saw that it looked pretty much like the GR8, but was $170.00 instead of $275.00 so we ended up buying the XR9. It seemed to fit fine in the store (with my hair in it), but when we got home, we didn't really like the way it looked as much. It seemed to come out around the sides of my head and look round/bulky. I've heard that IRHs are more circular/round while Charles Owens are more oval-shaped. If that's true, do you think it would be worth it for me to go back and purchase the GR8 instead? (Of course I'll try it on first.)Thank you. (:

The most important thing is to make sure that the helmet is certified AND fits your head properly. You are right about the fitting. I wanted one particular brand because it was the "in" thing, but as it turned out the Charles Owen fit me like a glove so off I went with that.

The cost to me didn't matter as much as the fitting. You really can't put a price on helpign prevent a head injury. For the price in cost, if you like the look of the other, and it happens to also fit better, go get that one instead, just make sure you are doing this with proper fitting in mind.

RadHenry09 09-30-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 763099)
The most important thing is to make sure that the helmet is certified AND fits your head properly. You are right about the fitting. I wanted one particular brand because it was the "in" thing, but as it turned out the Charles Owen fit me like a glove so off I went with that.

The cost to me didn't matter as much as the fitting. You really can't put a price on helpign prevent a head injury. For the price in cost, if you like the look of the other, and it happens to also fit better, go get that one instead, just make sure you are doing this with proper fitting in mind.

Yes , i def agree...I would go with the better fitting one over cost. I would def have my girl try lots of them on before we make a choice too.

cosmomomo 10-01-2010 03:59 PM

i have an IRH and i really dont like the look of it, it gives my head a mushroom appearence. im looking into a new show helmet too and im going to end up going with a charles owen, but im not in any rush since i wont be showing for the rest of the year. i do think they are shaped different. the charles owens are much more flattering than the IRH helmets are.

ilovejessie 10-02-2010 04:37 PM

i use the same one all year round

Bluezepher94 10-07-2010 06:38 PM

I returned my IRH (didn't even ride in it) and bought the Charles Owens GR8. It came out to $330, but it's well worth it! It's sooo comfortable, fits perfectly and looks much better. Thanks everyone! (: