The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Horse buying dilemma (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/horse-buying-dilemma-656/)

Sundaysilence 02-08-2007 06:58 PM

Horse buying dilemma

Ok, here's my dilemma: Last night I tried out a 15hh paint mare, who's 12 years old. She's a barrel racer, and is apparently pretty good at it. She's amazingly sweet, and I felt like we got along really well. I did your basic walk/trot/canter, and then we went over some ground poles at the canter. She didn't spook, though she tried to avoid one of the poles every time.

What's the point of all this? I really love this mare, but I'm looking for a hunter/jumper.

This was the first time she'd ever been under an english saddle.

BUT, she's also a hand shorter than what my trainer wants for me, she doesn't jump (but we think she has the ability), and we don't know if she does flying lead changes or not (which my trainer is being pretty strict about).

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
She's only $1,800 (the owners are only asking what they paid for her), and I have a budget of $8,000, so I would have a lot left over to spoil her with.

I need help :oops: :shock:
Her name is Concho, by the way (and she's due for a name change if I get her :lol: !)

Skippy! 02-08-2007 10:28 PM

Well, with a budget of 8,000 dollars... and knowing you want a Jumper

Why get a Barrel Racer?

I'd have to say no on her, because with the amount of money you have to spend, you can find a horse that is sweet, reliable, and can jump. If this mare is 13 and somewhat iffy around poles.. why go for it, ya know?

She sounds great though, i need to get my husband a big ol smooshy horse to love on. I have so many as it is x_x

Sundaysilence 02-09-2007 04:46 PM

Lol. Good luck with that. It's so entertaining watching my father go through all these horse magazines trying to understand everything. He's funny. :lol:

Well, we've gone and looked at tons of horses; several in OK, MO, and there are hardly and around here. She's the one I've liked the most out of all of them.
With the poles, I think she was either trying to cut the standard next to it, or go to the middle with the other horse who was in the arena so she could stand like a lazy bum :P (the horse I ride now slowly inches her way into the middle, lol).

With the amount of money, I can't find a decent horse that fits my specifications. I found one I really like, but he IS 8,000, and I wouldn't be able to get him tack and everything unless I took out a loan. It seems like a lot, but coming down to it, it isn't.

But I do think I'm going to pass on her. The thing is, my trainer is having me look at another barrel horse next week. So, I'm thinking that she's thinking the same thing as me.

Thanks for your opinion!

englishcowgrl 02-14-2007 04:19 PM

I agree with skippy! why go for a barrel racer if you want a jumper?

justcallmekate 02-17-2007 04:05 PM

You're lucky to have such a budget and you should use that to your advantage to find exactly what you want.

Do what your heart tells you though. Sometimes the heart gives better advice than the head.

Hopefully the next horse you see will be exactly what you want.

Good Luck!

Tuff_up 03-09-2007 07:30 PM

well with that much money i would say go find a jumper not a barrel racer. good luck on the search :D