The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Tennesse walkers..what do you like or dislike about them (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tennesse-walkers-what-do-you-like-65608/)

Dock 09-25-2010 11:51 AM

Tennesse walkers..what do you like or dislike about them

Give pros and cons of Tennessee walking horses!

Indyhorse 09-25-2010 01:48 PM

I love walkers. I just HATE the majority of their owners, in my neck of the woods. :lol: There is definitely a "type" associated with walker owners in this area.

Curly_Horse_CMT 09-27-2010 06:02 AM

They are definantly a cool breed. I have known several different Walkers that had both the new and older body types (my friends could easily pass for a Morgan! haha) I don't paticularly like te huge size of alot of them as well as their gate IN COMPARISON to a Paso Fino. I like the gaiteds that move up and down in their action, not forward and out. That has always made me think that the Tenneesee Walkers are extremly uncordinated. The owner of the barn I work for has lots of them since he has a bad back, and it is fun to see thesre guys when they go back and forth to our barn.
Posted via Mobile Device

twogeldings 09-27-2010 01:15 PM

They can sure as heck outpace a Foxtrotter!

I was on a trail ride this past weekend, I was riding a Foxtrotter. He wasn't an exceptional horse, not with a fast or huge Foxtrot like Loki, but he was pretty much 'average'. Gaited good, nice to ride.

The barn owner was on her hubby's hugely fat TWH mare. I mean this girl was HUGE, looked almost like a draft! But dang, when she let that mare gait out, us poor people on the Foxtrotters (there where four Foxtrotters, one Walker) couldn't keep up! I pushed my guy into a easy rocking canter and was just barely able to keep up with her.

I wished I was riding Loki so dang bad. He's been clocked, in full Foxtrot, at 19mph, betcha he could've kept up with that walkin' girl :lol: