The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Midwest Horse Fair - Stallion Ave! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/midwest-horse-fair-stallion-ave-65617/)

Poco1220 09-25-2010 01:28 PM

Midwest Horse Fair - Stallion Ave!

My deposit is sent in as of yesterday to guarantee Poco a spot in Midwest Horse Fair stallion avenue (I'm super super super excited!).

Now all the difficult decisions!

Show him riding or at liberty?
He's great over jumps, trail, etc but you can't have any props so it would just be on the flat.
As far as liberty I know he won't run and prance like most stallions do, he'll just want to stand by me and be cuddled the whole time! lol.

I don't want my 2 min presentation to be boring so I had considered putting him in a nice leather halter/lead rope, or in his nice HDR bridle and showing him off on the ground for about 30 - 60 seconds then riding bareback for the remaining time.

I had also thought about doing the bareback thing and asking him to lay down for me to get on to show his temperment, I will only do this if they will allow me to bring a tarp into the arena so he can lay down on that... white horse + arena sand = not a happy owner! lol.

MUSIC!
I also have to decide what music will be playing in the back ground???

So far I'm thinking about:

Ain't Back Yet - Kenny Chesney
And the Crowd Goes Wild - Mark Wills
Cadillac Ranch - Chris Ledoux
Every Dog Has It's Day - Toby Keith
How Do You Like Me Now - Toby Keith
How I Got To Be This Way - Justin Moore
How Bad Do You Want It - Tim McGraw
I Make Them Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship
Like It's A Bad Thing - Gary Allan
Rockstar - Nickelback
Wonderwall - Oasis

My Studly <3 <3

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7194499_n.jpg

ShutUpJoe 09-25-2010 03:49 PM

How about Put A Girl In It? By Brooks and Dunn? He sure is handsome, I'd show him under saddle because that is what I would prefer if I was a mare owner.

Poco1220 09-25-2010 04:15 PM

I see soooo many people showing at Liberty and I just don't really think it shows off any good qualities of the horse.

A few stallions at liberty at MWHF...

ShutUpJoe 09-25-2010 05:05 PM

I see the redeeming qualities of it. That is some mighty fine horse flesh. I think though, if I were to breed I'd want to see how quiet the stallion is under saddle because I would eventually be riding his foal.

Poco1220 09-25-2010 05:11 PM

Yea that's kind of my point. I guess I see temperament as a big quality in stallions. I used to work at a farm whose stallion would literally attack you if you turned your back on him, great pedigree and beautiful though. You couldn't pay me enough to breed to him with an attitude like that regardless of looks/lineage. I want something with a head on it and some real brains.

I'd never be able to show Poco at Liberty anyhow, I'd let him loose and he'd stand there. If I chased him off he'd run about ten steps before turning around and coming right back to me. He has no want to be anywhere except at my side lol which means I'd have to run around like an idiot just so that he'd move along side me!

ShutUpJoe 09-25-2010 05:15 PM

Good luck at the fair. Post pictures : )

Poco1220 09-25-2010 05:32 PM

It's not til' mid-April unfortunatly :( But I'm just excited we are actually getting a spot this year!

corinowalk 09-25-2010 05:55 PM

Unless you can do something interesting with the at liberty work..I wouldn't. The first horses demo would have completely turned me off. All he did was run like a mad man around the ring. That wouldn't be a trait I was looking for.

The last video has the right idea. They are not only showing his beautiful movement but his temperment in wanting to please and do as they ask. Sounds like your boy is a sweety though.

BarrelracingArabian 09-25-2010 05:57 PM

well then you have quite sometime to work on something I think the laying him down to get on would be kool to see but also seeing how he moves undersaddle is an important too.

Poco1220 09-25-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

The first horses demo would have completely turned me off. All he did was run like a mad man around the ring. That wouldn't be a trait I was looking for.
I don't think the running around would bother me as much as the fact that Kim, his owner, had to work so hard at being able to take his halter off. I have a firm belief that EVERY horse should stand still and act well mannered for something as simple as that.

Quote:

well then you have quite sometime to work on something I think the laying him down to get on would be kool to see but also seeing how he moves undersaddle is an important too.

The nice thing is he will move just as nicely in a halter, lead, and bareback as he will under saddle which is one reason I'm considering doing it bareback. I can get on him from laying down. Show off all three gaits, side pass, etc, and he will even lay down for me to dismount if I ask!