The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Trail Trial tomorrow! FUN! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/trail-trial-tomorrow-fun-65636/)

franknbeans 09-25-2010 05:53 PM

Trail Trial tomorrow! FUN!

We have been looking forward to this all summer! Trail Trials are such fun! It is full-100 horse/rider combos, in teams/groups leaving a few minutes apart. We will see how we do, since I have not had my guy out on any trails since I bought him in the spring....so should be interesting! However, prior to my owning him all he did was trails, and he is pretty sensible. The lady organizing it does mounted police training, so I am just hoping she leaves the gun at home, since that is about the ONLY thing I really don't want to hear. I am riding with 2 friends-one older BTDT and another who is about the same as mine-younger, but has seen some stuff, and been desensitized a bit. Really looking forward to it! Supposed to be great weather, too!:D

smrobs 09-25-2010 06:07 PM

Sounds like a ton of fun. :D Hope you have a great time with very few surprises.

ChevyPrincess 09-25-2010 07:53 PM

Trails are always full of adventures! Lol. Riding with freinds, in my opinion, is always funner that riding alone. How long is the trail?

franknbeans 09-25-2010 08:35 PM

The trail is about 5-6 miles long, and has 10-12 judged obstacles. You have 2 minutes or 2 refusals at each, and each horse goes individually. (which is the hardest part, I think, since they tend to like to be with their friends.....).

It is a fundraiser, and should be fun. They have assigned ride times, and allow about 3 minutes per rider in the group space between groups. (ie we are a group of 3, so leave 9 minutes after the group in front of us).

My old guy is great at this, but we will see about this new one! I figure it is a good break from ring work, and we are just there to have fun. Learning anything is a bonus.

mom2pride 09-27-2010 01:09 AM

Soooooo...how was the ride? I'm jealous...I hope to do some judged trail trials next year :D

franknbeans 09-27-2010 07:10 AM

Tons of fun! Perfect weather, beautiful scenery, and the obstacles were great! For each obstacle they had 2 ways to ride, depending upon whether you were "trail boss" (the really experienced) or "green horn". The first obstacle was just a couple of really steep moguls to manuever, second was a tarp to walk across, third was the usual walk in, back out obstacle, 4 was in the woods, a metal trash can hung between 2 trees that you had to ride up to and hit the trash can, 5 was walking through an area with animals(this time they were bears, deer, gazelles with long horns, and a hunter sitting in the middle who got up when you approached. 6 was walking up to a barrel, taking one of those stall balls on a rope off the barrel, drag it behind you to the next barrel (tough, since it bounced)and place it on the second barrel, 7 was go up to a farmers market type booth, take an ear of corn out of the basket(with the crinkly sounding leaves on it), show it to the judge and take it to a barrel, placing it on the barrel. 8 was what we call a car wash....a piece of indoor outdoor carpet cut in strips and hung between 2 trees that you had to walk thru, 9 was a gate-a tough one, since it was one of the big metal field gates that swung downhill away from you, and if you backed up you were Dq'd (which we were, since we backed up to position to open it) and 10 was a ditch to manuever. We had a great time, and we WON JUDGES CHOICE! SO cool, since that is judged on attitude, etc. I was very pleased, since I had not trail ridden this guy since I bought him in the spring, and we really just went for the experience and for fun.
Today we are going to a friends to trail ride....another great place, where he will live next summer-hoping to beat the rain.
Easy ideas to work on at home during the winter and get ready for next season. These are SO much fun.

QOS 09-30-2010 09:14 AM

wow wee that sounds fun!!! Congratulations on the win!

ThoroughbredRace 09-30-2010 09:20 PM

Sounds like a ton of fun, congratulations on the win! :)

franknbeans 09-30-2010 09:40 PM

Thanks!