The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My OTTB's First Show Was Yesterday!

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  petitepyromaniac 
#1 ·
Sousa was in his first show yesterday. It has been exactly six months since I picked him up off the backstretch of the racetrack. It was a local schooling show and we wanted to see how he would do. (and how I would do for that matter :wink:) I am pleased to report that we pinned 5th in low hunter and 6th in pleasure hunter flat class. But it wasnt an easy day, as he was pretty tense in the ring at certain times. I would appreciate some training tips/advice on the following issues:

- So he would trot along nicely then suddenly rear up and whinny with excitement. Not sure if this is a "track flashback" but it rattled me. I would immediately ask him to circle and bring his attention back. He would be fine for a while and then do it again. I never fell or anything, but it was very unsettling;

- of course him getting tense didnt help me either. I am sure that my nervousness over his occasional spazz attacks made it worse. Whats the best way to convey "fearless leader" when you are panicked?

- We cantered in front of the judge beautifully, and as soon as he passed the viewing stand he heard a pony galloping up behind him and took off! I think he was back to the races. His back end kicked up a bit and it took some work to settle him. I was just panicked about cantering again after that. He felt like a timebomb ready to explore.

In all, we completed 6 classes and pinned in 2. He even jumped crossrails in one! My trainer thinks that we need to begin taking him to more shows, even if he isnt entered, to get him used to the environment. We also think we should lunge him before each show to "get the kicks out".

He was a handsome and flashy boy in the ring and came off very well, even if a bit unruly.

At home this guy is so calm you can't believe it. So his behavior threw me off a bit. I am worried that now I am scared to show, but I know I'll get over it. Any tips on getting the jitters out before an event? Is this something that practice will help resolve over time?

Horse Bridle Halter Mammal Vertebrate

Horse Mammal Bridle Animal sports Halter

See less See more
#2 ·
The only suggestion I would have as far as being a strong, confident leader is to pretend. I often have to drift off and pretend...like a child...that I am confident. Take a deep breath and imagine yourself as someone you admire. Preferably someone calm and confident who wouldn't be rattled by a rearing horse. For me, its my barn buddy Andy. Hes 60+ but a true hand with horses. He wouldn't let any of them rattle him. Not aggressive, just strong and steady. When I have a horse acting a fool, I pretend I am andy...sounds stupid but it works for me!

#3 ·
Yeah, it does sound like something that only time and exposure can fix. Do whatever you need to to stay calm and confident. He'll need a leader up there who he knows will take care of him. Don't baby him. Just do what you did at the show. Manage the situation just enough to get him through it and keep yourself safe, but then act like it never happened. Definitely take him to more shows even if you do not enter a class. There's plenty of confidence building to be done in the warm up ring. Good luck.

#4 ·
You were at Equilibrium!! I was there yesterday, too! Not riding, just helping out a friend :)
Ditto the other 2 posters, good job keeping your cool and keeping him focused though. It'll only get better with time :)

#5 ·
I have not taken my OTTB to a show yet, but I have ridden him around other horses once, and he was exactly the same. I call him 'my donkey' as he is so quiet and laid back at home. But there was one time when I was having a lesson and other people rode through the indoor to ride in the outdoor and my donkey freaked, was spinning and wanting to race again.
My advise would be to have him spend a lot of time around other horses who are being ridden. Sadly I can't do that at my current barn as it is a lesson barn for beginner riders. But expose him as much as you can to other horses, and I think your trainer is right to suggest taking him to shows without showing, but put him in a bridle rather than a halter so you have more control.

#6 ·
My Beau: YES, we were at Equilibrium! Did you see him in the ring? Did you see my look of terror when he bucked?!:-p

Now that I have been thinking about it for a few days, Sousa has NEVER unseated me. What I need to convince myself if this: He has consistently shown me what the "worst case scenario" is, and its always the same: a mild buck and whinny or a slight rear up and whinny, then he calms down. So why dont I just get used to it as the worst case scenario, knowing full well that I have, and CAN, handle it if it happens again.

I am assuming that if he REALLY wanted to send me flying he would, right? So, he's being playful, right? Not unusual for a former racer who is only 7. He's telling me "I feel good, mom"!

My Beau: will you be at the next hunter show in October at the same place?

#7 ·
No, I don't think I saw you guys. I was there in the morning while leadline was running, then I left to run a few errands and came back for the 2'ish stuff.

Not sure if I'll be at the one in October, but possibly... it's only 10 minutes from my house. Maybe I'll drag my QH down there and put him a few classes ;)

Are you going back??

#8 ·
Aidan was very unlike his usual relaxed mellow self at his first show, was more relaxed with a bit of lunging and a full hay bag at his second and by his third he was hardly looking at other horses.

The more you expose him the more he will chill out and get his head in the game faster. Keep going!!

#9 ·
Aw, you two look great together! Congrats!

I think it's a great idea if you just take him to a few more shows and let him get used to the environment before competing him more. Obviously, like most OTTBs, his mind is going back to the exciting days at the track with all the people and horses. Using a practice ring, whether it's getting off when he's too excited and leading him around on foot, or just taking it easy walk/trot in there is a great idea.
I wouldn't suggest lunging, just because it's great for strength training but most people think that it gets horses calmer--it might work like that the first couple times but after that your horse gets consistently stronger and stronger from all the lunging and it usually has the opposite effect, making your horse more energetic and ready to go.

#10 ·
I personally lunge my horse before every show. I don't do it to get the kicks out or anything, I do it so that he settles a bit and gets used to the surroundings. Along with lunging, he gets hand walked around the location, and gets to sniff all the "scary things". Treat it like another day at home, just relax and have fun, he'll feel it too.

In the warm up ring, take things slowly. Don't be afraid to make a circle, and work him in the circle. He'll get better with time, don't worry. Try walking for several laps, and then really trot him for awhile. Only let him canter once he has started listening to you. I would suggest entering several shows in only walk-trot classes, or walk-trot-canter as you please.

Basically just take your time and don't rush things. Maybe this show season your goal could be to successfully show with your horse being calm in all of your classes- even if it means you only show in 2 classes per show. Don't worry about the ribbons this year, they will come with time! :p

#11 ·
So we had our first lesson after our show debut yesterday. He was such a good, calm, easy boy. Worked on things I need to do better on....like getting into a real working trot. My trainer said I was trotting too slow at certain times in the hunter show ring. We practiced "surging" for three strides, slowing down, surging again, so he and I get better and adjusting our speed. THEN, we cantered an entire course for the first time! He took some tight turns, which months ago he NEVER could have done well due to balance issues. Its so fun to see him (and my progress).

I just cant believe how easy he is cantering fences. He measures himself, all I have to do is steer. I can almost feel him concentrating on where to take off. When I used to ride certain school horses, I had to help them figure out their strides or they would take a "stutter step". My OTTB just knows when to jump and all I have to do is look forward to the next fence to help him know his lead. Its remarkable, and underscores his intelligence.

He didnt act spazzy like he did a few times at the show. So, this weekend we are taking him to a dressage show with my trainer just to school and watch. (he's a hunter, so we dont compete dressage). Its just to get him more experience in a show environment. Appreciate all your great advice!

#12 ·
Well done on your achievements! It is always a bit of a gamble taking an OTTB to their first show as they almost always think they are back at the track and it gets the adrenilin pumping, resulting in a rather exciteable horse! I think you did great, and to place in a couple of events, that really is the icing on the cake hey?

Good idea taking him out again just for experience, that way the association with competitions and being back at the track can have a chance to fade away in his memory. Good luck with him!

#13 ·
Good job taking hi out!!

Unfortunately this is often the case with ottb's, at the races they're so hyped up, they know they're going to gallop flat out in a bunch of other horses so it's expected that they'll be quite a handful at their few few outings.
The best thing for him will be to take him to as many outings as you possible can. Trail rides, take him to a friends house for a ride with them, shows etc. Anything!! Just get him out as much as you can to give him exposure. Eventually he'll come to the realisation that he's not going to have to run, and will start to settle.

I prefer to just take mine to a few led shows before getting into the ridden ones. This avoids what you had problems with, horse gets tense, then you get tense and it's a vicious circle which results in an overall tense outing for the horse. If you enter some led classes, or even just take him along to the comp ground for the day that will be of enormous benefit to both of you. Get him off the float, walk him around the grounds, do as much in hand/ground work as you can to get his brain focussed and back between his ears, then go back to the float, tie him up with a hay bag and sit and watch the show. Give him a few hours to settle at the float, and if he seems content with being there, and your nerves have gone, saddle him up, take him out to a quiet corner of the grounds, ground work him again to get his focus and then hop on and go for a nice sedate walk letting him take in all the sights and sounds.

That's my routine for at least the first few outings, it does depend on the horse, others settle quicker than some, but I won't enter a ridden comp until the horse is settled going out.

#14 ·
It turns out that there is a dressage show at the SAME PLACE our first show was two weeks ago. I dont show dressage, but I am taking my OTTB along with the team so he can do exactly what you suggest, Kayty. I will just hack him and let him watch and settle.

The great thing is that the next hunter show, in the same place, is two weeks later! So, it will be his 3rd time there when we compete again. Hopefully by then he's feeling like this show thing is "old hat".

#15 ·
My mare was the same way for a while around other horses. I just rode her through it.

The only thing that will help him get over his excitement is just going and being exposed to the show setting; whether you ride, or exhibition ride, or just hang out on the grounds and ride around a bit. He will soon figure out that this is just like home, just with a few more horses. Focus on keeping his attention rather than winning, or placing in classes; do what you have to (within reason), to keep him focused on you.

#16 ·
We have decided to take him back to the same show location on October 24th. That will be exactly one month since he was last there, with one off-site schooling at another barn in between. The show will have all the same classes, basically a repeat.

My trainer suggested we get to the showgrounds, lunge him, then walk him around the schooling ring during the warm up. She also suggested that she could get on him and work him for a while if I prefer. I like the idea! If he has jitters, she is more experienced, and it will keep me from tensing up.

Is there any down side to this idea?

#17 ·
The first time I took my OTTB to a show it took me 40 min to get on him he was so hyped up. It took exposure to get him calmed down, he was also very lazy at home. I lunged him for the first couple of shows and took him for a walk and it helped. Now he just walks off the trailer and goes to work. Good luck to you guys, the more you get out there the calmer it will be!

#19 ·
About having your trainer get on at the show - that can be a great idea!! Having more experience will make her calmer, and you can watch and see how she works through everything from the ground. Conversely- if possible you could ride a more experienced horse, so that all you have to worry about is yourself.

Its normal to be nervous at shows. What helps me is getting into a routine dressing and tacking up, that I do every time. There is calm in ritual, and that starts to get your mind ready. I also practice everything scarier at home than at a show. You can jump bigger, and if possible, practice riding with lots of horses in the ring so when you get to the show everything looks easy and small!

My last advice is fake it 'til you make it! A couple deep breaths, and a big smile go a long way!

P.S. I have an OTTB also! She is two so we are a ways from show - but hopefully we see you on the show circuit some day!!

#20 ·
Sousa's second show is this coming sunday, Oct 24th! Last Sunday my trainer took us to a farm he's never visited to school. She had her friend, who owns the place, watch the lesson. She dragged her lawn chair out, opened it while we were trotting, picked up rocks and put them in a bucket, called her dog, and walked her horse by us while working. All of this, of course, is to get some show practice and get him ready for all that entails. He was very "looky"...ears perked and looking all around, but didnt spook or rear once! To get him to pay attention, when he would get distracted, I would lightly jiggle the inside rein and add some leg. I could feel him refocus back on what we were doing. We trotted a crossrail course, then cantered it! His canter is getting better....but still the same problem: he doesnt KEEP doing it until I ask him to stop. I feel like I've run a marathon after circling three times. I tapped him with the crop and he cow-kicked, so I kicked him with my inside leg forward. he just doesnt feel like cantering much, lazy boy. Its funny because he loves to canter a course of fences, his pace is perfect and no "pumping" him to go.

So, we are going to enter WT pleasure hunter/low hunter/equitation. Three WT classes. One cross rail hunter class. And my trainer may show him in the WTC class that day.

Will keep you posted! :wink:

#21 ·
Need your advice urgently!!

So, we are only 4 days out from my OTTB's second show on Sunday. His training has gone beautifully, he's working nicely and been a nice calm boy. Getting more energetic and I am (was) getting more confident. We are only aiming for WT pleasure hunter classes and one equitation flat class.

Last evening I went for a light hack. He hadnt worked hard since SUnday, and spent all Monday and Tuesday outside in his paddock. I tacked him up and we went to the ring. It was colder than its been all year. from the ring you can see another farm with two new TBs in the pasture. They just came from the keenland sale, still have numbers on their hips! I got on my boy and began trotting a bit. Then I noticed the two TBs began charging around and making a lot of noise. Then I could hear hooves on the road and saw a guy in full Western garb come galloping by on his palomino. The two TBs were going NUTS and I did the fastest dismount ever. My boy was by then very worked up and focused on those other TBs.

I got the lunge line and got him ready to work that way. When he started out I have NEVER seen him buck like he did on the lunge line. He went into full out bronco mode and squealed like crazy. I kept transitioning between walk and canter and each time he started the canter his back feet went sky high. I couldnt believe it! He I kept bringing him back to trot and starting again and we didnt finish until he cantered calmly in both directions. The only reason we go there at all is because he was visibly tired. I walked him cool for quite a while and he was a nice calm boy then.

Seeing this type of bucking 3 days before our next show is not helpful. :-| He has never done this with me on him (minor crow hops only when he resists something)

My questions are this:
1) Is it normal for a horse to all-out buck on the lunge and never do it with a ride?
2) Did seeing the other TBs get crazy cause him to "follow the herd" and spin him up?
3) What means he wont do this on Sunday? :-o

Any advice is welcome. My trainer is getting on him today to evaluate how he is doing.

#22 ·
I think you had too many exciting elements going on at once (which was definitely not your fault)! The weather alone can be enough, as my mare is all too happy to show me ;) I think you handled the situation really well. I like that you kept him working until he relaxed (even if it's because he was tired). You ended on a good note, and that is what he'll remember. In answer to your questions:

1) Is it normal for a horse to all-out buck on the lunge and never do it with a ride? "Never" may be too strong of a word, but I think they're less likely to do it when you're on their back. I think horses start to associate lunge time as "play time" and riding time as "work time", so you start seeing more of a difference between the two.
2) Did seeing the other TBs get crazy cause him to "follow the herd" and spin him up? I think it was a combination of everything. He was feeling fresh, the weather was nice, and all the other horses were having fun! He wanted to play too!
3) What means he wont do this on Sunday? Well, you're on his back this time to help channel his focus, and he'll probably have been worked more recently so he has less pent up energy.

Also, I think horses have bigger reactions to changes in their home environment. They're there everyday, they're used to everything the way it is, so when something changes or is exciting, it's a huge deal in their minds. Yet, when you take them away from all of that and put them in a strange environment, everything is new! They're not going to spook at 'the horses that are there today but weren't there yesterday', because they weren't there yesterday to know the difference. They may look around and things that are bright and big, but I they seem to be disoriented enought that instead of throwing fits, they turn to the rider for direction.

That last paragraph might sound crazy, and maybe it is. I'm not basing this off a study, just what I've noticed in my own showing experience. Maybe it's true for other people.

#24 ·
Good luck with the show, be sure to post pics! And don't worry about the bucking fit, in fact try to put it out of your mind as thinking about it will only make you tense and he will react poorly to that. Relax and have fun!

#25 ·
Well, I am very pleased and proud to report that Sousa's second show was a success. He was focused and went to business right away. When I arrived, I lunged him lightly and found him totally relaxed. we went to the schooling ring, which was busy, and I handwalked him around it a few times. My trainer coached us on the flat and we cantered both lines of cross rails. And the results are as follows:

CrossRail Hunter Flat: 5th
CrossRail Hunter 18" Fences: 5th (I am especially proud of this as there were about 16 horses in the class and its his first jumping class)
Pleasure Hunter Flat: 4th

AND....

Long Stirrup Equitation Flat: FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!! We WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldnt believe it. The judge is a known dressage judge in the area and my trainer said to win with her is a real compliment. She asked for a sitting trot, which we had never done in a show, and he was on the bit and totally relaxed.

For having been off the track for 7 months and to have won a blue ribbon is just great. I am quite inspired and motivated, and the difference in his anxiety level between his first and second show was quite remarkable. I think that he's getting the hang of it. I also worked him hard for 4 days in a row before the show, which I hadnt done last time. We hadnt tried an equitation class before, only hunter. I believe that this means that as far as showing goes, he and are are a good team!

I also truly appreciate the advice from the nice people on this forum. I take it all very seriously.

So, what do any of you advise for next steps? This was a well attended schooling show. Should we try to something higher, or keep doing schooling shows for a while longer to really get a good foundation? And, what is considered the next level?

#26 ·
Congrats!! That's so exciting! I know how proud you must feel to have put all of that work in- and it paid off in spades!

My advice would be stick with the schooling shows for a bit- get really comfortable in that atmosphere- and as you progress they have some classes with higher fences. Eventually you can work your way up to rated shows.

I think the best thing I could say is stick with your trainer. From what you have said she knows you and your horse, and has really helped you two work well together. She is probably your biggest asset!

Best of luck moving forward! It sounds like you guys are well on your way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.