The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What do you feed for feet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-do-you-feed-feet-65809/)

~*~anebel~*~ 09-27-2010 05:14 PM

What do you feed for feet?

Title says it all.

Do you find feeding a ration balancer and nutrition supplement is enough for strong feet?
Do you feed Leaps and Bounds? Biotin? Kelp? Something else?

mom2pride 09-27-2010 05:30 PM

Don't feed a hoof supplement, but to use Cut Heal Hoof Heal, and it works great for me; the feet stay hardy, moisturized, and it also helps prevent thrush.

I am not normally the kind of person who likes an 'outside' remedy, either, but I started using it back in 2006, on a gelding with really dry, cracked and easily chipped feet, and it gave him such good feet, I have used it since on all my horses.

For an internal supplement, I have used Farrier's Secret, and liked it as well, but the smell is too powerful for some horses, and they won't eat it!

wild_spot 09-27-2010 05:32 PM

I have found for my horses, being out on pasture 24/7 with mineral and salt blocks, and being fed a ration balancer + Speedi-Beet and plenty of hay when competeing has been really effective.

Peggysue 09-27-2010 08:20 PM

I feed ration balancer and free choice hay... and all of mine but one have great hooves excpet my genetically challenged mare

Clair 09-27-2010 08:40 PM

I'm feeding flax- don't know if there's a change yet, but it's supposed to be good for hooves, intestines, and mane/tail/coat.

I do swear by Hoof Alive.

It will even grow your fingernails!
It's great for anything, particularly hoof cracks, abcesses, growth, and strength.

here:
Hoof-Alive Home Page

hope that helps!

masatisan 09-27-2010 08:57 PM

Flax is good, butt it's better to feed it in oil form because it is far, far more concentrated. Only need about 2 tablespoons a day, cold pressed organic is the best quality.

And I'm sure we all know to avoid any sort of sweet feed/sugary products with the negative effects they have on feet.

loosie 09-28-2010 01:16 AM

As feet are a part of the body and as there are no 'ingredients' that are required specifically by the feet, good, balanced nutrition for the whole horse is the best IMO. I personally feed a 'ration balancer' for this, after analysis. FeedXL.com is a very good service/program IMO & it is what I subscribe to & personally recommend with regard to balancing diets.

Clair 09-28-2010 02:22 PM

You might check your feed bag too. Biotin is in some feeds, which has been shown to have positive effects on hooves. You may already be feeding for hooves and not know it.

MaggiStar 09-28-2010 02:46 PM

I used biotin on my old horse didnt notice a HUGE difference but it made slight improvement definitely

loosie 09-28-2010 07:41 PM

Biotin is indeed one of the many ingredients needed for health(of all sorts, not just hooves) that *may* be deficient in the diet. However, if the horse is getting adequate green forage - eg grass, lucerne, etc - they *should* be getting enough in their diet without supping. If the horse isn't actually deficient(& apparently biotin deficiency is rare) it will not help improve anything. But at least, unlike many nutrients, it is apparently not harmful when over supplied, just excreted, wasted. I can forward an article on the subject, from the nutritionist at FeedXL.com if you like.